Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 627

Thread: Your Raspberry Pi Projects

  1. #1

    Default Your Raspberry Pi Projects

    So besides the usual XBMC/OpenElec stuff, are any of you doing something interesting with your Pi?

    Last night I set mine up as a fully fledged web server, serving a wordpress blog. Got a domain name pointed to it and everything.

  2. #2
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    I'm in the process of building a custom alarm system using a Piface. Still early days.

  3. #3

    Default

    What will I need to turn mine into a universal remote?
    i5-4670K|Air Cooled |16GB Kingston Beast Series Ram|Asus Maximus Impact VII|AMD Sapphire HD 7950|Lian Li PC-C60|250GB Samsung EVO|CM Silent Pro M2 850w

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CamiKaze View Post
    What will I need to turn mine into a universal remote?
    Try this:
    http://alexba.in/blog/2013/06/08/ope...-and-pictures/

  5. #5

    Default

    Integrated with biometrics.

  6. #6

    Default

    I was thinking of setting up a pbx on one of my Pi's.. I downloaded and installed the software but haven't got down to setting it up.
    http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/

    On another one I wanted to setup a Scanner Server so I can scan documents from any PC on the network..
    Raspberry SANE server (scanner)
    Parcel Tracking >>> www.ParcelTrack.co.za
    For ESET Anti-Virus, Smart Security etc, New License or Renewals PM me
    Accounting Services http://irp5.co.za/

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mh348 View Post
    I was thinking of setting up a pbx on one of my Pi's.. I downloaded and installed the software but haven't got down to setting it up.
    http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/

    On another one I wanted to setup a Scanner Server so I can scan documents from any PC on the network..
    Raspberry SANE server (scanner)
    My brother made a print server out of his. Helps if you don't have a printer with its own network adapter.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar0n View Post
    So besides the usual XBMC/OpenElec stuff, are any of you doing something interesting with your Pi?

    Last night I set mine up as a fully fledged web server, serving a wordpress blog. Got a domain name pointed to it and everything.
    Well done, let's hope your site doesn't get a lot of hits, because I wouldn't even trust an Atom to serve pages, let alone a Raspberry.

    Anyway, since you guys have all done the research, what is the difference between the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino? http://www.arduino.cc/
    You are Unique, Just like Everybody else !

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlatspinZA View Post
    Well done, let's hope your site doesn't get a lot of hits, because I wouldn't even trust an Atom to serve pages, let alone a Raspberry.

    Anyway, since you guys have all done the research, what is the difference between the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino? http://www.arduino.cc/
    Oh no, it's a purely scientific endeavour.

    Well, the Pi is a complete computer while the Arduino is quite a bit more primitive, just a simple microcontroller.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brackenfell, CT
    Posts
    249

    Default

    I use mine with with a webcam to make a stealth surveillance system. Caught housemate on camera going through my stuff. Tried it as a media server before that. Also makes a good internet browser for older people that they can just plug into a TV.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlatspinZA View Post
    Well done, let's hope your site doesn't get a lot of hits, because I wouldn't even trust an Atom to serve pages, let alone a Raspberry.

    Anyway, since you guys have all done the research, what is the difference between the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino? http://www.arduino.cc/
    massive difference :
    rasberry is a cpu + memory and quite a lot of peripherals (network/usb/etc)
    arduino is a microcontroller much slower, no os (you write program that is assembled and run directly on the processor) need to know more electronics to use this.

    microcontroller = cpu+memory+peripherals on one chip.

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/microcontroller.htm
    Last edited by biena; 26-06-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    ☻/
    /▌
    /\ Bob wants to kick Tshwane (Loadshedding dropbox link Updated 17 Sept 2015)

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar0n View Post
    Oh no, it's a purely scientific endeavour.

    Well, the Pi is a complete computer while the Arduino is quite a bit more primitive, just a simple microcontroller.
    Quote Originally Posted by biena View Post
    massive difference :
    rasberry is a cpu + memory and quite a lot of peripherals (network/usb/etc)
    arduino is a microcontroller much slower, no os (you write program that is assembled and run directly on the processor) need to know more electronics to use this.

    microcontroller = cpu+memory+peripherals on one chip.

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/microcontroller.htm
    Thanks for that guys. I don't need to know "Howtuffworks" when I have you.

    I realized the Pi was a complete computer, minus storage capacity, and depending on which version you bought, an HD media server. I just never bothered to read about the Arduino because it looked like more of something for specialist applications rather than general applications.

    I have contemplated implementing Pi's in the classroom, especially with the sad state of our education system - takers?
    You are Unique, Just like Everybody else !

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlatspinZA View Post
    Well done, let's hope your site doesn't get a lot of hits, because I wouldn't even trust an Atom to serve pages, let alone a Raspberry.

    Anyway, since you guys have all done the research, what is the difference between the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino? http://www.arduino.cc/
    You might be surprised. The ARM processors traditionally punched above their weight performance wise and I would guess that a modern ARM would handle something like a Wordpress site pretty well (from a CPU point of view at any rate.)

    When the PI first came out, I thought it would kick the Arduino into touch for cheap embedded applications but now I think that both will occupy complementary spaces. They would both be a great addition to any classroom.

  14. #14
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    1,434

    Default

    I have setup an always-on Downloader beast.
    Wheezy + Sickbeard + SabNZBd + Deluged + TightVNC

    How to guide
    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

  15. #15

    Default

    Yeah, I forgot to mention I installed deluged + web-ui on my Pi too. Now I can log into it from work to torrent Linux distros.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Raspberry Pi
    By Speedster in forum PC Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
  2. What is a Raspberry PI
    By Richardxtc in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-05-2013, 12:28 PM
  3. Raspberry Pi - Do you own one?
    By wez1007 in forum PC Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 20-04-2013, 10:13 PM
  4. Raspberry oO
    By Barfish88 in forum PC Hardware and Gadgets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 03:09 PM
  5. Raspberry PI
    By GhostSixFour in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 31-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •