Verashni Pillay resigns as editor of HuffPost SA

Nom Chompsky

High Tory
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
54,657
Reaction score
39,529
Location
Cape Town
Andreij Horn, head of 24.com, announced that the company has accepted the resignation of Verashni Pillay from her position as editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post SA.

Her resignation followed immediately on the release earlier today of the findings of the press ombudsman that a blog published on the site was “malicious” and “discriminatory”.

Horn said editorial control over the site has been reassigned: “With immediate effect, Ferial Haffajee, The Huffington Post SA’s editor-at-large, and Pieter du Toit, the site’s deputy editor, will take over the editorial management of the site until we have appointed a new editor. We have the utmost faith in their ability to lead the site through both the changes we are making to address the internal issues that made this situation possible in the first place, and the impact it had on society at large, the company, and its staff.”

Pillay said: “I respect the office of the press ombudsman and have decided to tender my resignation. Thank you to Media24 for this opportunity and all the best to the team at HuffPost SA going forward.”

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...lay-resigns-as-editor-of-huffpost-sa-20170422
 
And may every other proponent of 'white privilege' follow in her footsteps and resign.
 
Good news that she has 'resigned'. If she had felt the slightest bit of remorse, she would've done so when she realised she had been duped (especially after her piece defending the article and revelling in people's disgust of it).
 
Should have done this prior to the ruling if you ask me.... This just smacks of a resignation rather than being fired
 
Editor of bulls*** social justice website resigns for posting bulls*** social justice blog.
 
I am so grateful that sanity has prevailed. This is rare justice and the finding of the ombudsman is absolutely scathing. I certainly hope that this sets a strong precedent.
 
Should have done this prior to the ruling if you ask me.... This just smacks of a resignation rather than being fired

Seen this happen many times in the corporate environment - staff under investigation or awaiting a reprimand resign prior to the conclusion thereof, thus appearing (face value) more marketable than afterwards.
 
I nearly cried when I read this.

Because while reading it I accidentally killed a little moth flying on my screen. So sad. RIP moth.
 
It emerged that Garland was a pseudonym for Centre for Development and Enterprise researcher [highlight]Marius Roodt[/highlight], who said [highlight]he had wanted to make a point about the media[/highlight]. He has since resigned.

And what point was he trying to make?

I nearly cried when I read this.

Because while reading it I accidentally killed a little moth flying on my screen. So sad. RIP moth.

I nearly LOL'ed when I read your post, I contained myself and smiled instead :)
 
Last edited:
Seen this happen many times in the corporate environment - staff under investigation or awaiting a reprimand resign prior to the conclusion thereof, thus appearing (face value) more marketable than afterwards.

This, don't know why people are complaining. It happens at all levels, like a school "asking" a parent to move their [-]devil spawn[/-] child to another school instead of outright expelling them.

It's obvious to everyone what's happening, but it just looks better on paper.
 
shame. must check blog posts in future.... especially white troll posts.

For me it wasn't so much her green-lighting of the blog post, since you can still claim oversight or some other maladministration mistake. What really got to me was her following up with a supportive personal blog lambasting everyone who critisized the original story and trumpeting the story contents. At that point it was no longer an editorial oversight, but rather a personal opinion aligned with a controversial agenda.
 
For me it wasn't so much her green-lighting of the blog post, since you can still claim oversight or some other maladministration mistake. What really got to me was her following up with a supportive personal blog lambasting everyone who critisized the original story and trumpeting the story contents. At that point it was no longer an editorial oversight, but rather a personal opinion aligned with a controversial agenda.

Yeah she pretty much supported the content on a personal level so I suspect one can apply the press ombudsmans findings to her as well.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X