What you need to know about Windows 10 S

Microsoft has locked the default browser to Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 S, citing its increased security over Google Chrome and Firefox.

“You are able to download another browser that might be available from the Windows Store, but Microsoft Edge will remain the default if, for example, you open an .htm file,” said Microsoft.
Haven't checked myself but I'm guessing that none of the popular browsers are available from Windows Store?
 
If this is significantly faster on atom pc sticks & tablets it might have some use.
 
There are plenty of articles on it, and the new laptops from yesterday, here : https://www.thurrott.com/ .. along with multiple user comments on each article, which is what I find most useful in reading stuff on that site.
 
attempting to run third-party applications will result in the user being prompted to update their OS to Windows 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Pro users will be able to “upgrade” their device to Windows 10 S free of charge
manuel-que_zps87465835.jpeg
 
Haven't checked myself but I'm guessing that none of the popular browsers are available from Windows Store?

Not yet, but I'm sure Google, etc will throw together an install set in short order. If some janky fart app can take the time to do it, I'm sure Google can find the resources :)
 
How do they call this an upgrade? No third party software support and they want to call it an upgrade.

This will fail

To you and I this doesn't seem like an upgrade, but to someone who has to admin 1000 machines with users that like to fiddle, it'll be the best thing ever.
 
No, they can use their own rendering engine - any existing win32 type app can be used, they just need to package it for the app store.
All 3rd party UWP browsers so far use EdgeHTML so I assume it's like iOS where you can only use Webkit. Wouldn't surprise me aswell given MS's track record.
 
Haven't checked myself but I'm guessing that none of the popular browsers are available from Windows Store?

Nope.

Google et al will be prompted to use the EdgeHTML back-end for their browsers instead of using Desktop Bridge, and any efforts to do so will be simply rejected in the store application process.
 
could be OK, only certain apps... for some PCs in the target spec... but bottomline - whats the cost, compared to home or pro?
 
All 3rd party UWP browsers so far use EdgeHTML so I assume it's like iOS where you can only use Webkit. Wouldn't surprise me aswell given MS's track record.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-s

Yes, that does mean Windows 10 S can run your traditional Win32 programs as well as more modern UWP apps. Windows 10 S isn't a "lite" version of Windows 10. It's a full, standard version of Windows with the only difference being the fact that in order to install apps, they must come from the Windows Store.

So Chrome just needs an install set made that works with the app store. No biggie at all.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X