Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telkom VDSL - Full speed local, terrible download international

Default Telkom VDSL - Full speed local, terrible download international

Posting here hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Its been 2-3 weeks and I have had 0 progress. I'll try keep it at brief as possible.

For years I have had a 10mb/s ADSL line, no issues just worked. Download at 1.1MB/s from international sites/usenet providers, ISP is WebAfrica (Capped). So I decided a little while ago to treat myself, asked Telkom to bump it up to 20mb/s . The day I made that change my international speeds dropped to 0.3MB/s. I was thinking that the line stats were a little marginal, so let's rather ask Telkom to change my 20mb/s profile from ADSL to VDSL. After 5 min of explaining I could see i was getting very vacant stares, so I just asked them to bump me up to 40mb/s knowing that its only possible on VDSL.

This is where is gets abit more interesting, at 40mb/s getting full line speed local, but still only 0.3mb download internationally, but I get a full 3mb/s up both local and international. My line stats are great. So i'm thinking maybe its the ISP? I try Afrihost and Telkom own test DSL account, but both have the exact same result as the WebAfrica account.

Eventually I get a Telkom techie out (they didn't want to book one as my line stats where too good), he calls me from the exchange to say he cant see an issue. After a lengthy talk describing the issue, he mentioned that he has another ticket from someone in the area with the exact same problem. So he solution is to run some tests and take that back to IT. That evening (Thursday) I come home and everything is dead, no internet, no sync, no line, not even a dial tone.
    After a few calls, they have eventually got the internet back up today (Monday) but still the same problem of the slow international traffic persists.

Does anyone have any idea of what is actually going on and suggest a plan to rectify, this slow speeds are killing me. Hardware wise I dont think its an issue, got a clean network with a Billion 8800 VDSL modem and an Asus router managing everything.
    I just don't know where to go next.

Well I guess the lack of responses mean this isnt a common problem nor is it something obvious which needs to be changed.

The fact that you get the full 40Mb/s on local should tell you the line is fine and the issue is with your isp.

http://openserve.co.za/open/speed-test/

Run the Openserve Network Speed Test you will need these login details for your router to run the test, Username = admin and the Password = admin

Report back with the results.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Will give it a bash, but I ran all these tests using Telkom/openserve test ISP accounts and other regular ISPs. Exact same outcome, 0.3mb/s download via international.

I also don't get more than 10Mb/s down on international. I'm on 20Mbps VDSL it always hovers between 7-8 and doesn't get higher. I have tried web africa. Mweb. Telkom. I'm on axxess now. It's a little better but barely noticeable. I have friends who are also 20 VDSL but are much further away than me form exchange and they all get between 14-16 Mb/s down

Name:  IMG_20170908_075119.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  73.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    Will give it a bash, but I ran all these tests using Telkom/openserve test ISP accounts and other regular ISPs. Exact same outcome, 0.3mb/s download via international.
    What are your line stats on 40 VDSL?

Downstream Upstream
    Line Coding (Trellis) On On
    SNR Margin (dB) 11.8 29.4
    Attenuation (dB) 0.0 0.0
    Output Power (dBm) 14.2 -2.8
    Attainable Rate (Kbps) 68896 34222
    Rate (Kbps) 40956 3070

Well my S/N ratio used to be a lot better (just over 20db) but looks like the last tech that knocked me offline for 4 days cocked that up.
    Fibre just cant come sooner. Not quite sure why attenuation isn't showing anymore.

Site is not working for me, flash seems broke

Downstream Upstream
    Line Coding (Trellis) On On
    SNR Margin (dB) 11.8 29.4
    Attenuation (dB) 0.0 0.0
    Output Power (dBm) 14.2 -2.8
    Attainable Rate (Kbps) 68896 34222
    Rate (Kbps) 40956 3070
    How far are you from the exchange? Your line stats seem fine for 40mbps. As i understand your SNR should drop when you increase your speed. So your stats are good. Anything above 8db should be stable. I do think my line is exposed somewhere along the 4 poles between mine and the drop down pole. When it rains or storms my line drops like a bag of S###..but techies only wanto come and fix when the line is broken. Not when it's half faulty.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  42.3 KB

Exchange is not far. In a townhouse complex and its right at the gate. Less than 100m as the crow flies.

Exchange is not far. In a townhouse complex and its right at the gate. Less than 100m as the crow flies.
    Hi calypso. That maybe explains your attenuation of 0,0 dB. You stay directly next to the exchange, one can't get any closer than that. Attenuation is normally 13,8 dB for every km. 13,8 / 10 = 1,38 dB ... which is almost the same as your 0,0 dB.

Well this is now new. International download still terrible though.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 314
Size:  55.5 KB

Well this is now new. International download still terrible though.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 314
Size:  55.5 KB
    Fibre?

Very interesting, I'm experiencing the exact same issue as the the two of you. Where are both of you based if you don't mind me asking?

It's weird, I used to get about a 6.5dB SNR downstream syncing at 20mbps previously and I had NO issues. My SNR has since jumped up to around 8-8.5dB, same 20mbps sync but I'm seeing a lot of packet loss, it's counterintuitive because higher SNR should mean more stability. I have no idea what's going on, I'd love to know if more people on VDSL are experiencing this issue as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast