Anti-Crime Campaign may scare 2010 visitors

Padded Mouse

Expert Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
0
Location
Gawcott, UK
Now here is a site I would fully support to reveal / expose crime, and to try and shame governement , not to discourage tourism, just make people aware!


http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20060622090202609C562945

A proposed international anti-crime campaign designed to embarrass South Africa and scare off potential tourists has been condemned by the government as being a scare tactic.

The Crime Barometer, a web page which will tell the stories of South Africans who have been victims of crime, will include statistics and pictures and give people an opportunity to air their views on crime in the country.

The Internet web page, www.crimebarometersouthafrica.co.za will go online on July 4 and aims to scare soccer fans planning to visit South Africa for the 2010 Fifa Soccer World Cup by giving them a preview of the crime.
"We will ensure that each and every traveller who plans to visit South Africa will think twice before heading for the world's murder capital," said Neil Watson, the brains behind the campaign.

Watson, an insurance broker, said he began the web page so that victims of crime would be able to tell their stories in detail.

The website will be updated with pictures and stories every two days.

"Crime is horrific here. If international tourists do not visit the country, South Africa will lose millions in tourism revenue. I want to discourage tourists from coming here.

"How can we host the Soccer World Cup if innocent people are being slaughtered each day?" he said.

"Government is not protecting us. We can't even complain because we get asked to leave the country by Charles Nqakula, the Minister of Safety and Security.

"It is the duty of all South Africans to stand up to the crime in their country and that's what I'm doing," said Watson.

The Cape Town father of four has not been a victim of crime. However, he fears that it is only a question of time before he too will become another statistic and be hijacked or robbed like other South Africans.

"Our actions in exposing the South African killing fields come as a direct result of government's refusal to deal with the crisis.

"South Africans are living in fear while politicians and senior police officials, together with their families, enjoy first class personal protection."

JP Louw, spokesperson for the national department of environmental affairs and Tourism, said such "scare tactics" were "really quite unfortunate".

Deprive

Anyone who ran a programme which would deprive people of jobs and earning a living did not have the interests of the country at heart, he said.

The department remained content that its marketing strategies to increase the number of tourists to the country were firmly in place and remained on track.

It had already surpassed its target of seven million annual international tourists to the country.

President Thabo Mbeki's spokesperson, Mukoni Rat****anga, referred all queries to the departments of Safety and Security, and Sports and Recreation.

Nqakula's spokesperson Trevor Bloom said while crime in the country was unacceptably high, there was evidence that it had reduced over the past few years.

"The gentleman must put his facts on the table. Our facts and statistics show that crime is high and the minister has never denied that, but the important thing is to note that crime has certainly gone down.

"The government has a clear programme to make sure that crime is reduced. We have put in place mechanisms to measure the progress.

"I think that is why Fifa has full confidence in the ability of the government to tackle this problem," he said.

Bongi Sishi, spokesperson for Sports and Recreation Minister Makhenkesi Stofile, said the department did not believe that discouraging people from coming to the country and attempting to stop South Africa from hosting the World Cup would solve the crime problem.


One permanent job is created for every 12 international tourists who visit the country.
 
Last edited:
F#$%3ing classic

I would fully support this site, anything to f#$k over the goverment

Go victims go

Wonder if the gov is going to ban the site????
 
"The government has a clear programme to make sure that crime is reduced. We have put in place mechanisms to measure the progress."

If its so clear, why cant I see it?
 
Unfortunately, I think it will have little effect.

Incompetance and stuptidy are two very powerful forces. This website is like farting into the wind: It will have little effect. The only way to get government to act is to install people who know what they are doing (and that is not going to happen soon). So unfortunately, the only effect that it will have is to create greater Afro-pessimism.
 
In all probablility the govt will ignore this site. Like so many others this site will have little effect in changing SA govt and will further increase SA govt's disdain for the white man. It will however simply negatively impact SA's image abroad.
 
I did not know that Ant crime was such a problem.

(and for those who are wondering what I mean, CAREFULLY read the thread title....)

:D
 
quote

Anyone who ran a programme which would deprive people of jobs and earning a living did not have the interests of the country at heart, he said

/quote

so the government admits it doesnt have theinterests of the country at heart???? I mean doers BEE not deprive people of jobs due to skin colour???

just curious is all
 
so the government admits it doesnt have theinterests of the country at heart????
Yes it does, not directly but through it's actions it shows us a STFU every day
 
To take it further, I think this could make it worse. The crime problem wont be solved until the problem of poverty and education is resolved. As tourism is responsible for a great deal of employment, this could make the situation worse
 
Agreed, it will make the situation worse... but I feel SA govt deserves it! There's a slight chance it may shake them out of their complacency
 
JStrike said:
To take it further, I think this could make it worse. The crime problem wont be solved until the problem of poverty and education is resolved. As tourism is responsible for a great deal of employment, this could make the situation worse


This is sad if it happens a lot of innocent people will lose their jobs because our government doesnt want to act on crime and now people are resorting to sites like this.
 
Neil Watson in fact admitted on the iol news report that he nor his family or even friends has been a victims of crime ???.

So why does he launch a smear campaign against the country of his birth like this ???.

The word traitor comes to mind.

He must be another white man with a beef against the black S.A govt.

Ag shame ... wannabe "when we" Rhodesians like him can join the rest of them sitting in London or Australia.
 
Last edited:
JTech : It doesn't punish the government, it punishes the poor populace (by removing the jobs) and the rich populace (by an increase in crime)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X