Replace fitting from pool sand filter to the multiport selector switch thing

Jam Sandwich

Honorary Master
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
19,301
Reaction score
27,507
Has anyone replaced this fitting on a pool filter system?
Im not sure if these are glued in or are threaded in?
The piece I got from the pool shop seems like it may not fit?

You can see where the leak is on the fitting that goes into the sand filter. IMG_1571.jpegAny and all advice welcome.
Thanks
 
THis is the fitting I was told would fit but it looks like this presses into the sand filter part and there was no gasket or anything supplied to seal it with?

IMG_1572.jpeg
 
Looks like you are missing the o ring. Does that union unscrew further?

They should just screw together but without a o ring it will leak.

Will be something like this:
1790581556870.png
 
Looks like you are missing the o ring. Does that union unscrew further?

They should just screw together but without a o ring it will leak.

Will be something like this:
View attachment 1940741
I bought two of those fittings as I thought its a spare if one breaks when I am playing about but neither one has the thicker O ring that is shown on your image. Below is the fitting in all its pieces...

I also picked up a couple of O rings that were also on the shelf?

IMG_1574.jpeg
 
I think normally the sand filter has just pipes, the unions are added after. If your leak is right on the wall of the sandfilter and the pipe to the union, you probably gonna have to replace the sand filter housing or try seal around it which looks like that might already have been done. If its coming from the union , a new O-ring may be all you need. A union is just a screw connection so not really a wearing part. The ring may be worn from abrasive or chemicals. If you need to replace the actual union, mine are pvc welded to the respective pipes so you might have to cut, re-pvc weld and connect.
 
I think normally the sand filter has just pipes, the unions are added after. If your leak is right on the wall of the sandfilter and the pipe to the union, you probably gonna have to replace the sand filter housing or try seal around it which looks like that might already have been done. If its coming from the union , a new O-ring may be all you need. A union is just a screw connection so not really a wearing part. The ring may be worn from abrasive or chemicals. If you need to replace the actual union, mine are pvc welded to the respective pipes so you might have to cut, re-pvc weld and connect.
Thanks, this video from 35 secs in gives a nice view of the inside of those filter units.

Ive just spoke to a pool guy to get a price to come and sort it out and replace sand in the two tanks as I assume thats all got to come out anyway.

Likely the easiest option if new pipe and gluing etc is needed. I thought it would be a simple undo this, fit that, redo it and have a cup of tea job....

 
There is no glue. One piece comes from inside and the other screw in it from outside and it had a rubber seal. I have taken mine apart before to fix those fingers inside the sand filter. I think they all the same.

Geez and I hate people putting silicon on anything they see leaking. Its just makes a mess that has to be cleaned later and serves no purpose. Silicon is to seal the inside of a fish tank
 
There is no glue. One piece comes from inside and the other screw in it from outside and it had a rubber seal. I have taken mine apart before to fix those fingers inside the sand filter. I think they all the same.

Geez and I hate people putting silicon on anything they see leaking. Its just makes a mess that has to be cleaned later and serves no purpose. Silicon is to seal the inside of a fish tank
And for BOOBIES
 
There is no glue. One piece comes from inside and the other screw in it from outside and it had a rubber seal. I have taken mine apart before to fix those fingers inside the sand filter. I think they all the same.

Geez and I hate people putting silicon on anything they see leaking. Its just makes a mess that has to be cleaned later and serves no purpose. Silicon is to seal the inside of a fish tank
Ja, I seem to be missing the rubber seal/O ring for the fitting piece that goes from the inside of the sand filter to the outside where it mates up with the rest of the fitting.
 
Ja, I seem to be missing the rubber seal/O ring for the fitting piece that goes from the inside of the sand filter to the outside where it mates up with the rest of the fitting.
I can't remember but I don't think it was an O ring. Think it was a wide rubber ring thing.
Also don't you have a poolshop? There you buy once and they know everything. Buying from Builders and those shops the salesman knows very little about pools.
 
Everything screws together, I would also replace the o-rings. I lengthened the pipes when I replaced the connectors to the sandbox, made it easier to access and clean.
 
I got the older sand filter, and mine pump out sand during backwash. Any ideas there?
Where does you backwash water go? Do you see the sand there?
Thats strange. Normally sand in pool means that fingers broken. Outside in backwash eish. Did you change pool pump maybe to too strong one?
 
Well, I was quoted R6k to do this job and replace the filter sand in 2x filters (that's apparently 4 bags each, when I checked with the pool shop thats a total of R1360 for sand) so I suppose I'll have a stab at this myself...

Sand change Including sand R3200
Filter pipe fix R900
Change mpv wagon wheel R800 (Whatever that is?)
Travelling R1100 (We are about 35km away from the guy)
 
Last edited:
Well, I was quoted R6k to do this job and replace the filter sand in 2x filters (that's apparently 4 bags each, when I checked with the pool shop thats a total of R1360 for sand) so I suppose I'll have a stab at this myself...

Sand change Including sand R3200
Filter pipe fix R900
Change mpv wagon wheel R800 (Whatever that is?)
Travelling R1100 (We are about 35km away from the guy)
you in joburg ?
 
if you change the sand , put clinobrite , its amazing stuff and you can renew it after 3 years with salt

 
Yea that fitting need to be removed from the filter completely, then the threaded hole in the filter needs to be cleaned properly before a new port is installed with a tiny amount of sealant on the threads and a O ring where the flange meets the outside face of the filter housing.

Then piss off until the next day so the sealant can set on those already damaged threads, if you start connecting your valve back up you'll disturb the sealant it will eventually leak, just leave it till the next day.

Also, the port Must be BSP Threaded Port, not a straight union, so that you can screw in till the taper sets, a union will just go all the way through the port.

If you'd like you can get an additional collar nut and thread it on from the inside of the filter housing, it'll be an added security for the seal when you stress it as you operate you valve.
 
Well, I was quoted R6k to do this job and replace the filter sand in 2x filters (that's apparently 4 bags each, when I checked with the pool shop thats a total of R1360 for sand) so I suppose I'll have a stab at this myself...

Sand change Including sand R3200
Filter pipe fix R900
Change mpv wagon wheel R800 (Whatever that is?)
Travelling R1100 (We are about 35km away from the guy)
If you decide to do it yourself ( and its very doable ), get a "sand pump". Your hands will thankyou.

But two of those are for some form of repair. Fixing a pipe and your multiport switch.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X