Client takes Cartrack to consumer watchdog over rejected R150k claim

Smiggles

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 4, 2025
Messages
11,783
Reaction score
19,624
Location
Now, the time has come to part
A Cartrack client has taken the company to the National Consumer
Commission (NCC) after his R150,000 warranty claim for his stolen car
was rejected because he had failed to test his tracking device every
three months.

The company also repudiated Ofentse Vinjwa's claim because he had
missed a few payments.

Vinjwa's car was stolen in Hammanskraal, Tshwane, in June. The 36-
year-old man told Sowetan Consumer that his claim for the R150,000
warranty that Cartrack offers to its clients if their stolen vehicle is not
found, has been met with rejection by the company with unfair
reasoning.
 
If they see their device is offline for X days do they not call and find out what's cooking?

PS, do they pay this R150k on top of the insurance payout?
 
If they see their device is offline for X days do they not call and find out what's cooking?

PS, do they pay this R150k on top of the insurance payout?
Looks like yes. It a insurance against thier failue to recover the vehicle.
 
The testing every 3 months thing is bollocks in my opinion, but repudiating the claim because he was in arrears at the time of the theft seems fair to me.
It is bullsheet... they see that device all the time... I speak from experience of removing one out of my vehicle. The moment I took it out, the phone rang and they wanted to know what was going on. So forcing the customer to test it every 3 months is a load of crap.
 
It is bullsheet... they see that device all the time... I speak from experience of removing one out of my vehicle. The moment I took it out, the phone rang and they wanted to know what was going on. So forcing the customer to test it every 3 months is a load of crap.
and didn't even need to be mentioned in the first place seeing he was in arrears.
 
Dodge company, Bidtrack sends me an SMS every month to say that tracking has been tested and gives the car location. And they called to query when I replaced my battery.
See if they send it if you in arrears. I think the testing excuse is BS AI response. What car tracking company requires the customer to test their own tracker?
 
See if they send it if you in arrears. I think the testing excuse is BS AI response. What car tracking company requires the customer to test their own tracker?
Good point, it should be something they do on their side. But yeah, I can imagine it you don't pay your bills that goes out the window.
 
If they got in touch with this guy to tell him his account was in arrears and made him aware of the risks of being so, then that is one thing and totally on him. But if they let it lie in the red, knowing the could repudiate any claim then that is kak skelm in my eyes.

Also, why no debit order... :unsure:
 
The testing every 3 months thing is bollocks in my opinion, but repudiating the claim because he was in arrears at the time of the theft seems fair to me.
Was going to say, he didn't pay for their services. Therefore they're not obligated.
 
See if they send it if you in arrears. I think the testing excuse is BS AI response. What car tracking company requires the customer to test their own tracker?

They do it on the cheapest contracts. On my current car they made me take a tracker and I only figured out once it was installed that I need to do the tests.
I set a reminder on a two month schedule to do the tests and canceled it as soon as the 12 month contract was up. Insurance was then OK with not having the tracker.
 
It is bullsheet... they see that device all the time... I speak from experience of removing one out of my vehicle. The moment I took it out, the phone rang and they wanted to know what was going on. So forcing the customer to test it every 3 months is a load of crap.
Companies often put these clauses in because they know many people will forget to test them and then they have an easy way to repudiate claims.
 
They do it on the cheapest contracts. On my current car they made me take a tracker and I only figured out once it was installed that I need to do the tests.
I set a reminder on a two month schedule to do the tests and canceled it as soon as the 12 month contract was up. Insurance was then OK with not having the tracker.
How do you test their equipment?
 
How do you test their equipment?

Via the app or web site when I did mine. You log in start a test and get a response that its fine.
There is absolutely no reason to make you do it other than annoying you or hoping people forget and you get to refute the claims.
 
Via the app or web site when I did mine. You log in start a test and get a response that its fine.
There is absolutely no reason to make you do it other than annoying you or hoping people forget and you get to refute the claims.
I never had to do anything with netstar.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X