Museums you've been to, would recommend, or want to go to?

South African ones:
Naval museum in Durbs. A bit run down but nice to be able to move around the ships
Natural history museum Durbs - Good for kids
Cape Town's submarine tour (museum ship in essence)
Roben Island tour is worth doing once
Johannesburg's military history museum

Abroad:
Denmark - Viking museum in Jelling
Amsterdam van Gogh museum
Amsterdam Anne Frank house
Oregon - North American Aerospace museum (home of the Spruce goose)

A lot of others I would love to do. I hear the museum area of Washington DC is amazing and can take a week to explore or more
Lots of good options around Europe with many specialties. Would like to do more WW2 and ancient museums in the UK and Europe. Shetland islands also have a ton of Viking sites I would like to see.
 
Most recently the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam (July 2026). Well worth a visit but you have set a whole day apart for that. We also visited the Louvre during the same trip, but for that you need at least four days. We only had a few hours and saw maybe 10% of it.
I visited most of the museums in London during 2005-2006 when I lived there alone and enjoyed all of them.
 
Not a formal museum per se, but if you like real cars and bikes with engines and you ever find yourself in the Turk city of Berlin, make sure to visit Classic Remise. Multiple warehouses filled with vintage exotica being repaired, refurbed, bought and sold and it's completely free to wander around for a few hours. It's a cheap bus ride from central.
 
Locally Iziko South African Museum: Good
The police museum in Pretoria: Quite funny with their 1980s hippie drug den exhibition.
Knysna motorcycle museum: Just lots of bikes in a parking lot.

UK:
Science Museum: It was awesome seeing the Apollo 10 module in real life.
British Museum: Half of Egypt in there.

France:
Louvre: Didn't like it. millions of tourists everywhere.

I'd love to visit the Smithsonian one day.
 
South Africa:
  • National Museum of Military History (many times)
  • South African Airforce Museum (long ago, as a kid)
  • James Hall Museum of Transport Museum (a few times as a kid, it was a frequent primary school trip, but not as an adult)
  • Voortrekker Monument (as a teen)
  • Police Museum (long ago, as a kid)
  • Constitution Hill (high school day trip)
Would like to visit:
  • Simon's Town (local)
  • The Tank Museum (UK) -Specifically during Tankfest where they fire up the only running Tiger I. They are restoring a Tiger II to running condition and I'd love to see that. Would just love to hear that Maybach engine in person, tbh.
  • The Imperial War Museum (UK)
  • The Museum of Natural History (US)
  • The Air and Space Museum (US)
  • USS Iowa museum ship (US)
  • USS Texas museum ship (US) - Oldest surviving dreadnought
  • Battleship Mikasa museum (Japan) - Oldest surviving battleship in the world
  • Auschwitz-Birkenau (Poland)
  • Panzer Museum (Germany)
  • Dachau Memorial Site (Germany)
 
South Africa:
  • National Museum of Military History (many times)
  • South African Airforce Museum (long ago, as a kid)
  • James Hall Museum of Transport Museum (a few times as a kid, it was a frequent primary school trip, but not as an adult)
  • Voortrekker Monument (as a teen)
  • Police Museum (long ago, as a kid)
  • Constitution Hill (high school day trip)
Would like to visit:
  • Simon's Town (local)
  • The Tank Museum (UK) -Specifically during Tankfest where they fire up the only running Tiger I. They are restoring a Tiger II to running condition and I'd love to see that. Would just love to hear that Maybach engine in person, tbh.
  • The Imperial War Museum (UK)
  • The Museum of Natural History (US)
  • The Air and Space Museum (US)
  • USS Iowa museum ship (US)
  • USS Texas museum ship (US) - Oldest surviving dreadnought
  • Battleship Mikasa museum (Japan) - Oldest surviving battleship in the world
  • Auschwitz-Birkenau (Poland)
  • Panzer Museum (Germany)
  • Dachau Memorial Site (Germany)
I feel you should add the HMS Belfast to your list, a fantastic visit.
 
I've not been to many as Museums are not my thing, but the ones I have been to and enjoyed;

1. Louvre
2. Athens National Archeological Museum
3. George Washington's Mount Vernon
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X