0818081959, scammer or not

MR.C

Expert Member
Hi all

One of my work colleagues received a call and was told that someone is doing a sim swop on her number, and she should switch her phone off for 20 minutes and they will call back.

Is this something she should worry about or should she just ignore ?

Hoping someone has experience with this...

@VodacomData

TIA

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Hi all

One of my work colleagues received a call and was told that someone is doing a sim swop on her number, and she should switch her phone off for 20 minutes and they will call back.

@VodacomData

TIA

She should worry about it, switching off the phone assists in SIM swaps. Which bank does she use?

WAslayer

Executive Member
She best take whatever action her bank has available to change her bank password login etc..

Sim swap generally leads to emptying of the Bank account..

MR.C

Expert Member
She best take whatever action her bank has available to change her bank password login etc..

Sim swap generally leads to emptying of the Bank account..
Thats what I told her. They knew her surname but she didn't ask them to confirm any details.

Someone called after from 0822759700 to confirm that someone wants to do a sim swop, and they are flagging the account.

082275xxxx is from Vodacom, so it seems they are aware of it

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Thats what I told her. They knew her surname but she didn't ask them to confirm any details.

Someone called after from 0822759700 to confirm that someone wants to do a sim swop, and they are flagging the account.

They will only try a SIM swap after they have her banking details (probably via phishing), so she needs to change all her banking passwords ASAP.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Yip, some networks (MTN) when you do a SIM swap its sends an SMS asking to confirm. If you ignore that SMS for a certain period, the network (MTN) takes it as you want to do a SIM swap. That is why they ask the victim to turn their phone off so that they do not get the SMS.

R13...

Honorary Master
Yip, some networks (MTN) when you do a SIM swap its sends an SMS asking to confirm. If you ignore that SMS for a certain period, the network (MTN) takes it as you want to do a SIM swap. That is why they ask the victim to turn their phone off so that they do not get the SMS.
Assume you can't swap an active SIM either. In the past they would harrass you until you switch off your phone then they'd swap.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I wish the banks would all issue SIM cards. That way you could specify that a SIM swap can only be done at your bank. They have your ID photo and they take a photo of you every time you come to the counter. If, for some reason, someone gets a SIM fraudulently, well the bank is to blame. Just as if a criminal went into a branch and cleaned out you account.

Eric

Honorary Master
Hi all

@VodacomData

TIA
They themselves were doing a sim swap. Quick - change banking passwords and phone your mobile provider.

Eric

Honorary Master
I wish the banks would all issue SIM cards. That way you could specify that a SIM swap can only be done at your bank. They have your ID photo and they take a photo of you every time you come to the counter. If, for some reason, someone gets a SIM fraudulently, well the bank is to blame. Just as if a criminal went into a branch and cleaned out you account.
Well they could simply issue certificates for banking that you install on your own device.
You would need login credentials, certificate and 2fa.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Or just (where possible) use a bank that doesn't involve your SIM in authentication things at all (coughs in Capitec).

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
To people reporting they get OTP via SMS when their app is not reachable are incorrect?

I have not gotten an opt from them in probably 2 years I guess, not sure. I got an sms saying they not sending them anymore and that was that.

Only thing I get by sms is the money has left your account, you have logged in and the we are delivering your new card.

Every confirmation I have had to make was in app.

I can’t speak for everyone else, I am neither every one else nor all knowing.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master

Or that 082 number is also in on the scam.