100Gbps IS-WACS dual-route cable system finished

grim

Expert Member
Sweet, so where's the less restrictive shaping policy IS?

nerf

Does this also benefit those who are in Johannesburg ?

Spyk3r

Expert Member
Im not sure if it would benefit you much more than SAT3 did... What was interesting for me last night was a speedtest to London returned a 159ms ping! I was used to an average of 180, so 20ms improvement was quite something. This was on WA though.

My Afrihost account has had strange pings for the past few months. I get 5 to the exchange, and from there is goes up to 27 (to IS's ipc in cpt I assume) whereas, Mweb, WA, and Telkom all return a marginally higher ping (an additional 1-3ms)

ambo

Expert Member
100Gbps to Yzerfontein on their fibre ring I can believe. The 100Gbps going all the way to Europe on WACS is much harder to believe.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Great so theoretically this should make them more competitive on performance and redundancy and therefore gives me more choice as to which service provider I can use. Thumbs up.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Im not sure if it would benefit you much more than SAT3 did... What was interesting for me last night was a speedtest to London returned a 159ms ping! I was used to an average of 180, so 20ms improvement was quite something. This was on WA though.

My Afrihost account has had strange pings for the past few months. I get 5 to the exchange, and from there is goes up to 27 (to IS's ipc in cpt I assume) whereas, Mweb, WA, and Telkom all return a marginally higher ping (an additional 1-3ms)
Yeah I've been seeing pings to the EU at around 160 for a week or so now. Very cool.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
The big problem is the IPC bottleneck from Telkom. So all this bandwidth is great but if you have to pay super prices for the IPC it is not going to make much difference to you and I.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
The big problem is the IPC bottleneck from Telkom. So all this bandwidth is great but if you have to pay super prices for the IPC it is not going to make much difference to you and I.
Definitely true, but IMO an even bigger problem is Telkom's retarded residential access infrastructure, which they are apparently upgrading but nobody is seeing any real improvement. So you can have the fattest international pipe imaginable, but it does only limited good if the terrestrial network is ancient.

We are falling so far behind international standards very quickly, and seriously we have been staring at 400KB/sec, without the option of getting a faster line, for way way too long now.

entrepr

Expert Member
There is a massive issue with 'inverted pricing' - that the short residential hops cost the most in a link, then the hops across town are slightly more cost effective, then national transit (which is cheaper on a per km basis than across town), with international being far cheaper (both on a distance basis and on a bandwidth basis). It is a ridiculous state of affairs.

The only positive in the scenario is that as international gets cheaper (and therefore traffic escalates in volumes) this should pull through to the other tiers and ultimately force the pricing down. The recent Telkom adsl upgrade is some evidence of this.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
100Gbps to Yzerfontein on their fibre ring I can believe. The 100Gbps going all the way to Europe on WACS is much harder to believe.
Those ^

W.Salie

It was said that by the end of this year they will introduce bit streaming. I wonder if this is still going to take place?? If it does this will mean great thing for SA's internet speeds

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
It was said that by the end of this year they will introduce bit streaming. I wonder if this is still going to take place?? If it does this will mean great thing for SA's internet speeds
Deadline is apparently November but I am not going to hold my breath.