10GB mobile data bundles - The cheapest options

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
10GB mobile data bundles - The cheapest options

Using large amounts of mobile data in South Africa can be expensive, especially if you have no backup Wi-Fi connection and require a constant connection to the Internet.

It is certainly cheaper to buy a large mobile data bundle instead of several smaller ones, but even larger mobile data bundles are far more expensive than buying fixed broadband data.

oceanmasterza

A local company, Xpedite Africa, beats these prices by quite a large margin. If you buy their month to month sim you pay R399 for 10GB, R485 for 30GB and R1400 for 100GB. The price drops all the way down to about R8 odd per GB for 500GB. They have a one month cancellation notice tho.

Dan C

Honorary Master
A local company, Xpedite Africa, beats these prices by quite a large margin. If you buy their month to month sim you pay R399 for 10GB, R485 for 30GB and R1400 for 100GB. The price drops all the way down to about R8 odd per GB for 500GB. They have a one month cancellation notice tho.
We all know that already, this article is for the uninformed.

Thor

Honorary Master
Rand per MB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@rpm beer is on me when you are in Cape Town!

Thank you!

supersunbird

Honorary Master

cavedog

Honorary Master
Lycamobile R299 for 15GB runs on Cell C as a MVNO.
Not a good solution because it's not run as the other mvno so it is as if you are roaming with a UK sim on SA. Only 3G and 2G available and all the traffic is like moved over a vlan or something to the UK and back.

So you get a UK ip and lets say you are visiting a site hosted in SA. The traffic will go from SA > UK > SA which causes the slow speeds.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Have they fixed the issue with Telkom/Vodacom roaming (I was in a well covered Telkom area and it kept connecting to Vodacom and I couldn't use my Telkom data)?
Not really. It's still a hit and miss.

Moemulla

I am on prepaid and I have a good offer from MTN. I pay R85 per week to buy a 7 day 2.5Gb anytime data bundle which totals 10Gb for four weeks (almost a month) amounting to R340 per four weeks. Currently though going to buy vodacom's deal for 40Gb @ R199 pm

Swa

Honorary Master
I am on prepaid and I have a good offer from MTN. I pay R85 per week to buy a 7 day 2.5Gb anytime data bundle which totals 10Gb for four weeks (almost a month) amounting to R340 per four weeks. Currently though going to buy vodacom's deal for 40Gb @ R199 pm
So R34/GB for something that's only valid for a week. Farkit, these operators need to catch a wakeup.

JennaW

Does your data roll-over like the other option though?