18KM PtP Wireless long-haul at 2.5Gbps - solution.

netsnail

If anyone could give advice on how to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it.
We need to install a point to point that is at 18km apart.

The challenge I'm facing is finding a solution that would be able to handle 2.5Gbps at this distance.
Had a look at following products.

NEC's 18Ghz Duel Polarized Link - This will cover the distance but not the bandwidth at 1.25.
Siklu's Etherhaul 2500FX (80Ghz) - Has 2.5Gbps but uptime is dodgy at best with 99%.
Huawei RTN320 - Information is sparse on what distance the radio can cover but does have the throughput.

More information about the installation.
*Clear line of sight.
*Will be mounted on radio towers at both sites.
*Location is in Swaziland (Not sure about spectrum regulation???)
*Rain is common and needs to be factored into the solution. (Why Siklu's up time isn't great)
*Enterprise equipment recommended due reliability reasons.
*Trunking is possible but would need to install additional fibre for each antenna. (Not ideal.)

Any recommendations or ideas on how to go around doing this?

Edit: Spelling error.

Last edited:

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Will this work?
I bought it exactly 10 years ago and was receiving my internet from my ISP with it until they gave me fiber in 2017
Nothing, it just carries on sitting here collecting dust
I once PIF my braai dish antenna after my ISP gave me fibre 3 years ago but not one person wanted it, so here it still sits.
Norrafok am I giving it to Cash Converters/Crusaders for 50 bux

View attachment 969768

Peon

Expert Member
@netsnail I would look at the Ubiquiti Airfiber range. Spelling mistake made on purpose on 'fiber'.

If 2.5Gbps is an absolute requirement then I would bond 4 of them.

paul5186

Expert Member
Strange requirement of 2.5Gbs.

You would probably need to run 2 x links.

80Ghz at that distance is a no. I run a few links at 5km, but I would not go over 10km depending on the rain profile for the area.

Probably bond 2 x 11Ghz or 17Ghz links would be best.
e.g
https://www.summitd.cz/en/product/gth-1724g

You would need to check the license requirements in Swaziland.

Peon

Expert Member
Just remember, because the marketing guys put a 1Gbps throughput sticker on it doesn't mean that will happen. Everything plays a part.

If you bonded 4 Ubiquiti devices together for example with Smart managed switches on each end I'm sure you would get to the magical 2.5Gbps.

All though I do suspect your client might not understand why they need 2.5Gbps which also means a lot.

netsnail

Strange requirement of 2.5Gbs.

You would probably need to run 2 x links.

80Ghz at that distance is a no. I run a few links at 5km, but I would not go over 10km depending on the rain profile for the area.

Probably bond 2 x 11Ghz or 17Ghz links would be best.
e.g
https://www.summitd.cz/en/product/gth-1724g

You would need to check the license requirements in Swaziland.
You worked/ing with these radios?
Any good at 18km?

netsnail

Just remember, because the marketing guys put a 1Gbps throughput sticker on it doesn't mean that will happen. Everything plays a part.

If you bonded 4 Ubiquiti devices together for example with Smart managed switches on each end I'm sure you would get to the magical 2.5Gbps.

All though I do suspect your client might not understand why they need 2.5Gbps which also means a lot.
Yeah, Agree with you on the marketing BS, But the client gets what he wants.

Bonding the radios seems like the only logical way of going around doing it.

Tacet

Expert Member
@netsnail - maybe you should call in a company that does radio links? If you're speaking of >99% availability you'll want to have regulated spectrum. To get to 2.5 Gbps you'll want probably need 256 MHz channels, dual polarized at a fairly high order of modulation. To design this and take rain fade into account you'll want to have access to Pathloss or similar. The distance a link can do depends on frequency, antenna gain, transmit power, receive threshold (for the specific modulation), rain fade... It's not merely a function of equipment.

The Huawei RTN series can do it, if you have the right outdoor units, antennas, spectrum, modulation etc. So can the Ericsson Traffic Node series, the SIAE ALCplus2 series. Siemens has radios that can do this, as has Alcatel Lucent, Ceragon, Siklu (but 80 GHz at 18 km simply is a terrible idea, they have radios in lower bands).

There are a few companies who might be willing to take on such a project. You can try Comsol - I think they have operations in Swaziland. You can try Telsaf Data as well.

Very true. However, if a radio planner who knows what he's doing plans a link for 1 Gbps he's pretty likely to get 1 Gpbs.

paul5186

Expert Member
You worked/ing with these radios?
Any good at 18km?

First start on what spectrum you can use. You would need to use some radio planning software to plot the links.
Generally you are looking at +- R200k for two complete links excluding switches, highsite rental etc.