1GB RAM Smartphone

mercurial

MyBB Legend
When will we see the first smartphone with 1GB RAM? I'm really tempted to just get the Samsung Galaxy S but the thought of waiting a few months and potentially getting a smartphone with 1GB RAM is more appealing.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
LOL, the closest to that at this point is the HTC DesireHD, it has 768mb RAM, i honestly dnt know if we will see 1GB RAM in the next couple months.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Looks awesome, but not sure if it will be a "world phone". Most probably US only.
That will be truly sad. This phone is by far the best out there right now. Motorola will be making a huge mistake not to release this phone worldwide. A dual core processor (effectively 2Ghz), 1GB DDR2 RAM and all the other awesome specs make this phone incredible to say the least.

alt146

Looks awesome, but not sure if it will be a "world phone". Most probably US only.
Well it's scheduled for release on AT&T (which is a GSM network) and there's rumblings that Orange in Europe will get it around the middle of the year, so it will be 'world phone'. Not sure exactly which 4G system it uses though. Still, it should work here, although we will have to wait and see if it actually arrives.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
The original iPhone had 128mb RAM. Of that, about 80-90mb is used by the OS, leaving only 30-40 mb free. And it still had some multitasking!

The iPhone 3GS had 256mb RAM, leaving about 150mb free, meaning 5 times more memory. So you can multitask about 5-8 apps or so in my experience with it. This means most apps use less than 30mb or RAM.

The iPhone 4 has 512mb RAM. You see how much this is in the world of mobile! It's a crapload.

Android is probably just as memory efficient as iOS, I don't know, but 512mb of RAM is plenty! Even if you run out of memory, and have to relaunch an App. With modern 1ghz processors that's only a wait of a second or two.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
The great thing with multitasking in Android is that even if RAM eventualy runs-out apps that are busy running tasks are not touched, and those in the background sitting idle will save their state and close, so when you go back to open them they start right from where you left them.

I realy hope that ATRIX makes it here, otherwise i'll wait for a SE dual-core Android. 512mb RAM in Android is more than enough though, but i, like others here, like things :D

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Well the Samsung Galaxy S2 looks to be the other phone to also look out for. Rumoured specs make me wanna cry tears of joy.