1MB uncapped deta on a 2MB line; is this effective

RuiCapz

New Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2012
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

Sorry to jack the thread, but I need help from you ADSL gurus. Please guys let me know what is the legitimacy of the following:

Your ADSL line speed will be upgraded to 2MB in the back end. These changes will be rolled out over a 6 week period starting from the 01/08/2012. Your product on the ISP interface will remain on the uncapped 1024kbps all inclusive product for R488.00 per month.

This means that you will stay on the 1MB data but you will have a 2MB line. You will have the choice to either upgrade or downgrade your product or leave your product as is.

Options available:

1. Upgrade to the uncapped 2MB all inclusive product - R599.00 per month
2. Downgrade to the uncapped 1MB all inclusive product - R339.00 per month
3. Remain as is on the uncapped 1MB data + 2MB line – R488.00 per month

No automatic changes will take place other than the line speed upgrade.

Please e-mail me should you require further assistance.
__________________________________________

Guys, please let me know what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different setups.
 
1) Your price goes up and you will have an uncapped 2Mbps service from your ISP and keep the 2Mbps ADSL line you currently have. Your download speed and general internet service will effectively double in speed.

2) You save money and you keep the speed you are currently experiencing from your ISP and the Telkom ADSL line will be downgraded to 1Mbps. Result is you pay less and enjoy the same experience as always.

3) Means you have the same experience as option 2 except you pay more. Option 3 doesn't make sense at all.
 
1) Your price goes up and you will have an uncapped 2Mbps service from your ISP and keep the 2Mbps ADSL line you currently have. Your download speed and general internet service will effectively double in speed.

2) You save money and you keep the speed you are currently experiencing from your ISP and the Telkom ADSL line will be downgraded to 1Mbps. Result is you pay less and enjoy the same experience as always.

3) Means you have the same experience as option 2 except you pay more. Option 3 doesn't make sense at all.

With Regards to option 3, I am actually seeing better speeds with my 1 meg account on my 2 meg line, than when it was just a 1 meg line, over weekends I'm able to get about 180kB/s consistently, weekdays it hovers around 130kB/s, I think mweb rely on your physical line speed to regulate your data usage more effectively than their (for a lack of a better term) digital methods ;)
 
Thank you for the replies so far.

I tend to agree with MrG on option 3, as I have not experienced any improvements; currently downloading at 65.4kB/s.

It seems option 3 is not technically plausible.

Regards,
 
Try 3 and upgrade to 1 if you don't see an improvement. As Segg said you'll likely see a mix in performance depending on time of day between 1-2mbps.
 
I will not deny that some have experienced a better result with option 3 however I ran a 2Mbps line on a 1Mbps account for about a week and never noticed that I was able to exceed 1Mbps account speed. (MWeb)
 
I will not deny that some have experienced a better result with option 3 however I ran a 2Mbps line on a 1Mbps account for about a week and never noticed that I was able to exceed 1Mbps account speed. (MWeb)
It kinda depends on the ISP. e.g. on AH I pulled 2mbps regularly on a 1mbps account.
 
I guess it is all about personal experience then, no real technical info to back up the claims...
 
I guess it is all about personal experience then, no real technical info to back up the claims...
I don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down so to speak.

We are telling you about an *undocumented* *unofficial* benefit that is highly dependent on second-by-second network conditions and *proprietary* *dynamic* shaping systems...and you want "technical info to back up claims"?

Honestly, you might as well ask for tomorrows lotto numbers...you're not getting either.
 
I don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down so to speak.

We are telling you about an *undocumented* *unofficial* benefit that is highly dependent on second-by-second network conditions and *proprietary* *dynamic* shaping systems...and you want "technical info to back up claims"?

Honestly, you might as well ask for tomorrows lotto numbers...you're not getting either.

Sorry for the stubbornness. I appreciate all comments and opinions.

Thank you all
 
I have to agree with HavocXphere and JAckshiels on this one. I have a 1MB MWeb account on a 2MB line and I too get well over what my account speed dictates I should. But like Havoc says its not a constant increase. Most times I getbetween 120kbps and 130kb but on weekends and when MWEB relaxes their shaping I get anywhere between 180kbps to 230kbps.

I have a work collegue who has the R339 1MB all inclusive package with MWEB and he struggles to get 105kbps. We have tested downloading the sametorrent at the same time and my download speed is double that of his. Right now my friend is waiting for the 6 month contract (he signed to get the 2 months free) to end then he's moving his line back to telkom and upgrading to 2MB.

But like whats been said before the higher speed is not a guarantee. Right now my download is maxing out at 125kbps...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X