2 Tan or not 2 Tan

stabilo

Do you think that it's safe to tan ? I love the sun and tanning so much. Maybe a few sunbed sessions is a better option to get that lovely bronzed look ? I just don't know. And, is there a difference between actual tanning and sunbedding ?
If someone out there knows, please let me have your views !

DON'T ever go for a sunbed session! Sure, you get a nice tan fairly quickly, but it also increases your risk of skin cancer by miles!

About your question whether tanning is safe - no, it's not.
BOTH ways are really unhealthy for you.
The only way to go, is fake tan!!! :D

The old addage "anything in moderation is fine" rings true for this.

Princess: how do sunbeds increase one's chance of cancer by miles?

Just_Ice

Executive Member
Go for a normal tan! Luckily I dont burn easily but even if you do just throw some SPF 50 sunblock on and you will be ok. Just tan for short stints, like 30 minute sessions take a break for a good while, and then another 30. Thats just my opinion though.

I wouldnt recommend the sun bed option...

BCO

Honorary Master
I'd say tanning for tanning's sake is a bit silly with the proven health risks. Go in the sun and enjoy the weather by all means, but don't roast yourself for hours on end. You risk skin cancer and by 35 you look 50.

Just_Ice

Executive Member
Princess: how do sunbeds increase one's chance of cancer by miles?
Apparently, its like pure UV<Insert A/B here. Not sure which one> and thats cancer causing. Thats why their sessions are short but intense on your skin

So let me get this straight..

your options are:

-being pasty
-being orange (fake tan)
-Getting cancer (Tan)
-Getting cancer quicker (Sunbed)

Id go with 3

I am sure if they increased the risk by miles as stated, they would be banned. But then again, Light colas are proof that this isnt always the case...

Jewelbox

Expert Member
Yip, by the time you are 35 you will look 50, so stay out of the sun!

Are you a blonde? even more dangerous then to tan!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Sunbed = fail idea imo.

Rather get some real sunlight. Ideally for short periods only...but frequently. After 15h00 or before 10h00. Some tanning lotion might not be a bad idea either.

And if you have a family history of skin cancer...then be a whitey & live with it.

TheLoot

Top off, a bit of soccer or rugby in the morning or late afternoon, do it often enough and you are sorted :cool:

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
i am very pale so pale in fact i glow in the dark, years ago i used to use Bronze-up so i could wear shorts. i wish i could tan.

stoke

Honorary Master
Er, howcome people who work in the sun day in and day out don't get skin cancer?
Cos their skin is used to the sun, that's why.

Now, people live like moles, never even going outside for more than 2 minutes, and then they go on holiday, and WHAM ... they suntan.

Then they wonder why they burn so badly and why they completely ruin their skin.
Madness!

If you want to tan, you've got to break your skin into it, starting with 5 minutes and working your way up to 2 hours (Not 11H30-14H30) a day over 4 weeks, then you can move faster and up it to 4 hours in 1 week.

And - if your skin feels sore, get the freck out of the sun, mkay!

It's so obvious.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Er, howcome people who work in the sun day in and day out don't get skin cancer?
Cos their skin is used to the sun, that's why.
They will also develop leather like skin I am guessing! :eek:
If you want to tan, you've got to break your skin into it, starting with 5 minutes and working your way up to 2 hours (Not 11H30-14H30) a day over 4 weeks, then you can move faster and up it to 4 hours in 1 week.
Unless u know a person's skin type, isn't it kinda dangerous advice to be telling them to work their way up to 2 hours per day?
And - if your skin feels sore, get the freck out of the sun, mkay!

It's so obvious.
The last time I got burnt I didn't start feeling the pain until after the damage was done. I wasn't trying to get a tan, but was stupidly engaging in some archery without sun block ::eek::eek: