2019 Mazda 3 (Gen 4)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The 2019 Mazda3 Is Very Safe: IIHS

The 2019 Mazda3 is quite the heavy hitter. It looks great, drives wonderfully, offers the enthusiasts a manual option—and now you can even add “safe” to that list of what makes the car Good.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety recently tested both the Mazda3 hatch and its sedan variant and awarded both its top safety pick award, according to a press release.

To do this, a vehicle has to perform well in the Institute’s driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, the “very difficult” passenger-side small overlap front test, and pass evaluations of the car’s front-crash prevention abilities and headlights.

The 3 sedan got the IIHS’s pick while loaded with the optional front collision prevention system. The hatch, however, earned the award with just its standard equipment, which is impressive. Both cars did well on the passenger-side small overlap front test—earning “good” ratings.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda3-is-very-safe-iihs-1834682699

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda 3 2019 UK review

Should I buy one?

The lack of poke from the motor and an at times rough-edged secondary ride are the only truly noticeable flies in the new Mazda 3’s ointment. It is otherwise a highly likeable car: the slick-shifting gearbox is ace; the driving position is great; the cabin well-finished and attractive; and the handling eager and playful.

While that busy ride is easy enough to ignore, the asthmatic level of performance is tougher to overlook. As it stands, the Volkswagen and the Ford are the two more well-rounded competitors in this class. But with that Skyactiv-X engine arriving later this year, reportedly with around 180bhp, that could well change. Watch this space.

Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv-G GT Sport Tech

Where: Scotland; On sale: now; Price: £25,495; Engine: 4cyl, 1998cc, petrol; Power: 120bhp at 6000rpm; Torque: 157lb ft at 4000rpm; Gearbox: 6spd manual; Kerb weight: 1439kg; 0-62mph: 10.4sec; Top speed: 122mph; Economy: 44.8-45.6mpg (WLTP combined); CO2: tbc; RIVALS: Ford Focus, Volkswagen Golf

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/3/first-drives/mazda-3-2019-uk-review

Mazda 3 1.jpgMazda 3 2.jpgMazda 3 3.jpgMazda 3 4.jpgMazda 3 5.jpgMazda 3 6.jpg

Bigfoot ZA

The thing is will the same spec models be sold in SA as in Europe. As we are used to seeing companies give SA buyers a lower safety spec motor compared to Europeans models for pretty much the same price?

Zophos

Expert Member
I saw some entry level pricing for the new models - Starting at R369K from our local Mazda dealer

They will be dropping the almost no extras entry level, thus price above is for alot of goodies "entry level" model.

Disclaimer: *Prices mentioned above is word of mouth and should not be seen as fact*

gamer16

Honorary Master
Mazda 3 2019 UK review

Should I buy one?

The lack of poke from the motor and an at times rough-edged secondary ride are the only truly noticeable flies in the new Mazda 3’s ointment. It is otherwise a highly likeable car: the slick-shifting gearbox is ace; the driving position is great; the cabin well-finished and attractive; and the handling eager and playful.

While that busy ride is easy enough to ignore, the asthmatic level of performance is tougher to overlook. As it stands, the Volkswagen and the Ford are the two more well-rounded competitors in this class. But with that Skyactiv-X engine arriving later this year, reportedly with around 180bhp, that could well change. Watch this space.

Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv-G GT Sport Tech

Where: Scotland; On sale: now; Price: £25,495; Engine: 4cyl, 1998cc, petrol; Power: 120bhp at 6000rpm; Torque: 157lb ft at 4000rpm; Gearbox: 6spd manual; Kerb weight: 1439kg; 0-62mph: 10.4sec; Top speed: 122mph; Economy: 44.8-45.6mpg (WLTP combined); CO2: tbc; RIVALS: Ford Focus, Volkswagen Golf

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/3/first-drives/mazda-3-2019-uk-review

View attachment 660698View attachment 660700View attachment 660702View attachment 660704View attachment 660706View attachment 660708
Damn I like it, even the back, looks sort of sinistery type pissed at the world.

Colin62

Executive Member
Me too, especially since this is supposed to be my next company car.
I’ve got a couple of years to go still with my CX-3, so by the time I’m ready to buy one of these we should have a better idea on the reliability of the Skyactiv-X

Pox

Expert Member
I’ve got a couple of years to go still with my CX-3, so by the time I’m ready to buy one of these we should have a better idea on the reliability of the Skyactiv-X
Doubt it will be the X, but I'm hoping it's the 'full power' 2l and not the depowered one that now seems to be an option.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Mazda 3: spec confirmed for 178bhp (132kw) Skyactiv-X engine

Fourth-generation Mazda 3 on sale now in UK from £20,595; innovative compression ignition engine due later this year

Mazda has confirmed the power and fuel economy details of the innovative Skyactiv-X engine that will be added to the line-up of the new fourth-generation Mazda 3 later this year.

The firm says the spark plug-controlled compression ignition petrol unit, which will be offered on both hatchback and saloon models, combines the performance of a petrol engine with the fuel economy of a diesel.

Mazda has now confirmed the unit will deliver 178bhp and 165lb ft of torque, while producing a fuel economy of up to 52.3mpg on the WLTP cycle, with CO2 emissions from 96g/km. The economy and CO2 figures depend on model, wheel size and transmission, with six-speed manual and automatic gearboxes available.

The powertrain will also include Mazda's M Hybrid system, a 24V mild-hybrid unit that can regain energy under braking.

Full UK pricing and specifications for the Skyactiv-X will be finalised in July; on-the road prices for the new hatchback start from £20,595.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...zda-3-spec-confirmed-178bhp-skyactiv-x-engine

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda's new Skyactiv-X engine: vital statistics confirmed

Mazda has finally announced peak outputs and claimed fuel consumption of its new “spark-plug-controlled compression ignition” Skyactiv-X engine, which will debut in the latest Mazda3 hatchback and sedan.

The automaker claims the new engine is the world’s first commercial petrol unit to combine the spark ignition of a petrol engine with the compression ignition of a diesel.

The Japanese firm has confirmed the European-spec Mazda3 fitted with the 2,0-litre, four-cylinder Skyactiv-X powerplant will offer 132 kW at 6 000 r/min and 224 N.m at 3 000 r/min.

Claimed fuel consumption (on the latest WLTP cycle), meanwhile, comes in at 5,4 L/100 km with CO2 emissions of 96 g/km, depending on transmission and wheel size.

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/mazdas-new-skyactiv-x-engine-vital-statistics-confirmed/

image_preview.jpeg

Pox

Expert Member
I'll be very happy if I get this engine in my next company car.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mazda's new Skyactiv-X engine: 'We don't want to sell it cheap’

Mazda’s CEO says the new Skyactiv-X engine boasts a “number of advantages” over a conventional petrol powerplant, so the Japanese firm doesn’t “want to sell it cheap".

The automaker recently announced peak outputs and claimed fuel consumption of its new “spark-plug-controlled compression ignition” Skyactiv-X engine, which will debut in the latest Mazda3 hatchback and sedan.

Speaking to Automotive News Europe, Akira Marumoto said the “customers will decide” what impact the new engine has on sales.

“We have the manufacturing flexibility to produce all the different types of engines on the same line,” he said.

“The Skyactiv-X engine has a number of advantages, but we don't want to sell it cheap. Moving to a 10-year horizon, many of our engines will be replaced by Skyactiv-X and by further new-generation powertrains,” Marumoto revealed.

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/indus...activ-x-engine-we-dont-want-to-sell-it-cheap/