20mb VDSL Slow Upload?

Sparky862

I am with Vox Telecom. Previously I owned a 20mb ADSL. I was told to switch to VDSL for faster syncing

On ADSL I got 15mb down and 1.2mb up
On VDSL I get 18mb down and 1.5mb up

All over the net I read that a 20mb vdsl should sync at 5mb up, which mine does not? Is the upload speed location dependand or what?

Totempole

Expert Member
I am with Vox Telecom. Previously I owned a 20mb ADSL. I was told to switch to VDSL for faster syncing

On ADSL I got 15mb down and 1.2mb up
On VDSL I get 18mb down and 1.5mb up

All over the net I read that a 20mb vdsl should sync at 5mb up, which mine does not? Is the upload speed location dependand or what?

In all likelihood, you're too far away from the exchange to get the full 5Mb upload sync.

Check your router stats to see what the max "attainable rate" for upload shows if you can. That may shed some light on the situation.

For example, I can easily get 40Mb download on my VDSL infrastructure, however my max attainable rate for upload is only around 6Mb, so it's not worth my while since upload speeds are more important to me than the extra download.

Edit:

It's also possible that your VDSL is running in Fast Path mode, rather than Interleaved. That would result in your line syncing at 20/2, but with significantly better latency. Try checking for that as well.

Sparky862

I have no idea what a Fast Path is, but I can tell you we have Telkom Open Serve Servers in our town, 10km away from me so I doubt it is the distance

Sparky862

I have no idea what a Fast Path is, but I can tell you we have Telkom Open Serve Servers in our town, 10km away from me so I doubt it is the distance

ghostbunny

You can think of fast path as the absence of interleaving which adds a bunch of overhead to your latency. If you're fine with higher ping and want slightly faster speeds you could give the interleaving a shot, but I'd give it a skip if I were you. It can take your ping from like sub 10ms local to 30ms local haha.

Sparky862

I am not even sure if this is correct, but, as you can see I have Vox settings as my PPPoE but up top I have TELKOM VDSL as my ISP List??

There is a Vox option in there as well, but when I choose that, it does not connect to my Internet. Telkom VDSL is only one that works even though I am connected to Vox PPPoE?

Attachments

• Settings.png
    Settings.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Vox.png
    Vox.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 19

Sparky862

You can think of fast path as the absence of interleaving which adds a bunch of overhead to your latency. If you're fine with higher ping and want slightly faster speeds you could give the interleaving a shot, but I'd give it a skip if I were you. It can take your ping from like sub 10ms local to 30ms local haha.

I have a TP Link w9910. Not even sure where that setting is or if it even has such setting. Also I can not see what my actual uploads and downloads should be, or rather what I should be getting. Only shows what I am getting now up and down

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
This is completely unhelpful but when I had VDSL I was on Fast Path but I still had 10Mbps upload, 45Mbps/10Mbps Fast Path. So it's not definitely you can only have one or the other.

Sparky862

This is completely unhelpful but when I had VDSL I was on Fast Path but I still had 10Mbps upload, 45Mbps/10Mbps Fast Path. So it's not definitely you can only have one or the other.
Again, not sure my router even have those settings to start with.

Totempole

Expert Member
I am not even sure if this is correct, but, as you can see I have Vox settings as my PPPoE but up top I have TELKOM VDSL as my ISP List??

There is a Vox option in there as well, but when I choose that, it does not connect to my Internet. Telkom VDSL is only one that works even though I am connected to Vox PPPoE?

Try clicking the "Advanced Tab" of your router interface and see if perhaps a "Status" button appears in the left Pane...

You're looking for something that looks like this:
dhBNg41.png

Sparky862

Try clicking the "Advanced Tab" of your router interface and see if perhaps a "Status" button appears in the left Pane...

You're looking for something that looks like this:
dhBNg41.png
Yes I have that page, but what should I look at?

Grouter

Expert Member
"Fast Path" or "Interleaved" is a setting done by Openserve on their end (Dslam / Isam / Msan).
You cannot choose one or the other or set it at your end.

Totempole

Expert Member
Yes I have that page, but what should I look at?

It doesn't expressly stated whether you're on Fast Path or Interleaved mode, but it will give us a good idea about why you're not getting the expected speeds as Soul Assassin said.

Totempole

Expert Member
This is a good example of a VDSL line that's close enough to the exchange to attain the full download rate, but slightly too far to get the full upload.

Here's mine. I'd fall a bit short of the 10Mb upload on the 40Mb VDSL package. D (Interleaver depth) is what shows me that I'm in Interleaved Mode as well. I believe downstream and upstream should both show a "1" in Fast Path mode.

VDSL.png

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
Here is my stats
I can't say for 100% sure whether or not you're running in Interleaved mode, but it looks like it based on your download sync speed being over 20Mb.

What I can tell is that you're not even able to sync at 2Mb upload. You can try logging a fault as Cavedog suggests, but technically speaking, your line is working within acceptable parameters based on Telkom/Openserve specifications.

With VDSL you have to be much closer to the exchange than ADSL to achieve the full speed.

If I remember correctly, for the full 40Mb service you need to be something like 20 metres away from the exchange. I'm not sure about 20Mb, but I think it's something like 40-50 metres to get the full benefit.