3 big current News articles, yet no comments section...

Petec

Expert Member
Seriously MyBB?
I know loads has been said about this, but we have 3 new big noteworthy articles, yet no ability to comment on the forums unless we manually copy and create new posts.
This is bullshite, as MANY forum users here are active on such threads, having come from the news sites long ago. This is our one place we have all been active users for many years, going on about tech and regular news.

MyBB, you are pandering (protecting) those, who have zero right to this privilege, and it's a slap in the face to your user base who have vociferously supported you and your platform all these years. You forget this was (note: was) the one place where we could come to, wade through some trolls (you get this on EVERY forum), and get down to amazing discussions and the truth.

Petec

Expert Member
Yup, hence me saying "I know loads has been said about this", but the more to voice their displeasure, the better.

Tbh I'm surprised they've kept the news site and the forums together for so long.

Doubt the forum brings in much revenue and must be a constant worry that a member does or says something stupid and trashes their brand.

Personally I would split it and rename one of them, probably the news side as my broadband is a stupid name for a news site but that does chuck away a lot of brand recognition.

I'm sure they have much better marketing people than me, this could be the start of a split.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Seriously MyBB?
I know loads has been said about this, but we have 3 new big noteworthy articles, yet no ability to comment on the forums unless we manually copy and create new posts.
This is bullshite, as MANY forum users here are active on such threads, having come from the news sites long ago. This is our one place we have all been active users for many years, going on about tech and regular news.

MyBB, you are pandering (protecting) those, who have zero right to this privilege, and it's a slap in the face to your user base who have vociferously supported you and your platform all these years. You forget this was (note: was) the one place where we could come to, wade through some trolls (you get this on EVERY forum), and get down to amazing discussions and the truth.
Someone has got a serious case of pent up opinions; waiting to let loose as comments.

"D"

Expert Member
Someone has got a serious case of pent up opinions; waiting to let loose as comments.
He/she will be all-forgiving after getting laid again ... but that's perhaps a distant-future endeavour due to the lockdown?

Emjay

Honorary Master
Petec, I am not understanding the issue. Copy and paste the articles in the forum according to the rules. I think it's better this way tbh. It protects MyBB from opinions of its members (and drawing ire from its advertisers), and in turn we get to have discussions on a board with fair moderation that allows free speech to a decent degree.

"D"

Expert Member
I get it too - but what is to stop any Disqus user from posting Hellraiser commentary on the news article itself? (In the comments section)

mr_norris

Expert Member
My only gripe with the threads created when news articles were posted were the annoying duplicates. Often BusinessTech and MyBB would post the same thing with different headlines, and then create duplicate threads accordingly. Annoying AF. But then someone pointed out the ignore feature, and that solved that problem. Can't say I noticed that they stopped creating threads, but I was wondering why some people would create threads and link to the articles - so I guess that answers that :D

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Just like many other things, MyBB started out as unbiased and ad free; 2 things they "promised" it would always be.

Now we are plagued by advertising, bombarded with Multi Choice/DStv articles, pushed false narratives which are usually actually paid advertising articles and served up never ending clickbait titles that have little/nothing to do with the actual content all in the name of driving traffic.

I used to open/read almost every article that was on the first page of the "News & Current Affairs" and "Broadband and IT News" boards every day. Now if I open 3-4 of the actual threads from either or even read a single full article in a week it is a lot, all because MyBB have become sellouts that constantly push their own agenda.

One thing I can't fault them for is being a truly South African business, because it is very much a SA business thing to say screw the users and what they want or what we promised, we'll do what we want and when probed on it we will deflect, avoid or flat out ignore those questions because we don't want to admit that we lied and that we have become what we set out not to be.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Just like many other things, MyBB started out as unbiased and ad free; 2 things they "promised" it would always be.

Now we are plagued by advertising, bombarded with Multi Choice/DStv articles, pushed false narratives which are usually actually paid advertising articles and served up never ending clickbait titles that have little/nothing to do with the actual content all in the name of driving traffic.

I used to open/read almost every article that was on the first page of the "News & Current Affairs" and "Broadband and IT News" boards every day. Now if I open 3-4 of the actual threads from either or even read a single full article in a week it is a lot, all because MyBB have become sellouts that constantly push their own agenda.

One thing I can't fault them for is being a truly South African business, because it is very much a SA business thing to say screw the users and what they want or what we promised, we'll do what we want and when probed on it we will deflect, avoid or flat out ignore those questions because we don't want to admit that we lied and that we have become what we set out not to be.
You need to get some rest.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Simple solution - ignore button or pass on by.

Why the constant bitch and moaning.
Grow up ffs, the world doesn't revo;lve around "your" petty needs and desires.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Where did they promise it would be ad free? Seems entirely unrealistic as there's no paywall. How do you suggest they keep it functioning?