3rd Interview

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Interview 3 was really just meeting the boss in person so they could get a face to face feeling about it and then I got the offer within hours after that.

vajavich

The company I work for usually require 5 interviews.
1. HR
2. The team members and team lead
3. Members from other teams that you'll be working with
4. The business team that you'll be supporting
5. The various leadership members.

There can be more if they are unsure about you. They do this so that everyone can get a feel for you and see if you'll fit the business culture.

RedViking

Nord of the South
1. HR

There can be more if they are unsure about you. They do this so that everyone can get a feel for you and see if you'll fit the business culture.
Flip, now that is a waste of time. Imagine everytime a decision has to be taken in the company.... What a mess.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
1. HR

The first one seems like a waste of time, the other 4 could be consolidated into 2 interviews, key members who know what to look for and the culture should be trusted to make these decisions, nothing is more off putting than interviews with judging panels, tops 4 people, one hr rep, the unit leader(pm etc), direct team lead and maybe the business team lead they would support. Even 4 is extreme, I would aim for 3

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
1. HR

Hope they tell the candidate this up front so they can go elsewhere.

1: HR - you never see or hear from them. I have yet to find a single company where they are in any way involved (unless HR is also tech team lead and/or business team that talks to teams on the daily) and have an inkling of any of the culture - let alone the culture that comes with specific job types.

2-5: If this is not done in one step (or on the same day in a small time frame) it throws a massive red flag that the business is badly run and as coordinated as cement blocks being dropped onto a highway.

At the end of the day this meaningless, drawn out process means just 2 things:
1) We all think we are overly important
2) We don't care about you or your time

I've found a great system that works. Get everyone required to work with the person in a meaningful way into a room (if there are more than 3 you're doing it wrong) to chat about life, skills and experience for no more than 20 mins. Do a quick pointed test if required to gauge there current level of skills (this should test a broad range to see if they have skills or can adapt or try tackle stuff they aren't aware of as well as those they do). You can see very quickly if they fit in and how they measure up and you don't waste their time or your with meaningless nonsense.

Lostboy

1. HR

Sounds like the company that used zebras in their adds

Went for and interview there once upon a time, after they called me for the fourth explained to me there might be a fifth round, I asked if they could combine the 2, they said No, so I said no. Big, big waste of time for me.

They also explained that the reason they do this is to make sure you fit the culture of the company.

I still don't understand this culture thing to be honest.

cguy

Executive Member
We're currently:
1) HR E-mail (after application or CV received - usually jump to (3) if an internal referral)
2) Online test
3) HR Chat (if (2) is good)
4) Phone Screen (if (3) is good)
5) Onsite full day interview (if (4) is good) - typically 6-8 interviews (only 1 is non-technical)
6) Possible second day of onsite interviews (if original team declines, but could be a fit elsewhere - not typical)
7) HR Discussion, followed by offer (if 5/6 are good)

Culture fit is assessed in each interview - it’s just about figuring out if the candidate will collaborate well.

I know of companies where the interview process takes months, and multiple onsite interviews. They can afford to be very selective.

Last edited:

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Why didn't you ask their process at the beginning? Most companies will share that info with you :)

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Sounds like the company that used zebras in their adds

Went for and interview there once upon a time, after they called me for the fourth explained to me there might be a fifth round, I asked if they could combine the 2, they said No, so I said no. Big, big waste of time for me.

They also explained that the reason they do this is to make sure you fit the culture of the company.

I still don't understand this culture thing to be honest.
culture is everything.