3rd party claims

Mvu

Hi everyone

Need some input. Had an accident recently, someone bumped into my parked car with the engine off and me out of the car. Insurance has given me an offer for about R6000 and the quote I submitted was for R8000.
Now I know that submit to their own network and choose the cheapest quote. Now my my problem is the place that they chose is not even rmi approved and has terrible reviews.
What's the likelihood of me winning if I want more on the grounds that their choice is not rmi approved? Should I just take the money and go get a deal elsewhere?

Thanks

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hi everyone

Need some input. Had an accident recently, someone bumped into my parked car with the engine off and me out of the car. Insurance has given me an offer for about R6000 and the quote I submitted was for R8000.
Now I know that submit to their own network and choose the cheapest quote. Now my my problem is the place that they chose is not even rmi approved and has terrible reviews.
What's the likelihood of me winning if I want more on the grounds that their choice is not rmi approved? Should I just take the money and go get a deal elsewhere?

Thanks
Firstly your insurance should send it to an RMI place and tell them you're going to report them to the ombudsman.

Mvu

Firstly your insurance should send it to an RMI place and tell them you're going to report them to the ombudsman.
Its the 3rd party insurance. I'm not claiming from my insurance.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Its the 3rd party insurance. I'm not claiming from my insurance.
AFAIK the ordinary procedure is to claim from your own insurance, and then let their legal department fight it out with the 3rd party's insurer. Then when (if) the 3rd party pays out, they return the excess to you.

The problem with this is that you lose your no-claim bonus. But it's less hassle. YMMV.

Mvu

AFAIK the ordinary procedure is to claim from your own insurance, and then let their legal department fight it out with the 3rd party's insurer. Then when (if) the 3rd party pays out, they return the excess to you.

The problem with this is that you lose your no-claim bonus. But it's less hassle. YMMV.
That's why I didn't claim from my insurance. Plus it wasn't my fault. They have already given me an offer but I want more. What I want to know is the likelihood of getting more on the ground that the panelbeaters that gave them the quote is not rmi approved.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Always better to claim your own insurance, if it's third party you shouldn't lose your no claim bonus.
But now the op is learning the hard way about third party claims.

newby_investor

Expert Member
That's why I didn't claim from my insurance. Plus it wasn't my fault. They have already given me an offer but I want more. What I want to know is the likelihood of getting more on the ground that the panelbeaters that gave them the quote is not rmi approved.

Can't say I've had the honour of dealing with a situation like that. As @Lupus says, it may not endanger your no-claim bonus, you'd have to read the T&Cs of your insurer. The advantage that they'll have is the professional legal team with experience in dealing with these things. So you'll have to weigh whether or not the additional hassle and potential lower payout is worth the no-claim bonus.