4mb ADSL - Lost carrier issue

koosbeer

[ATT Afrihost Reps] 4mb ADSL - Lost carrier issue

Hi guys

I need some advise on my current line state from the smarties here. My line has been down for the last 8 days. By down I mean my modem says its syncing and connecting, the PC says there is internet on the network but there is zero throughput. The afri peeps says there are a lot of "lost carrier" errors on the line.

The cause for these errors can be a faulty line according to the afri peeps. Now this has been reported to Telkom (8 days ago) and I have NO HOPE of this being fixed anytime soon. The reason I'm bugging the forum with this is that I need to know - What else can it be? Can it be my router? I've tried another router (older) and that one doesn't even want to connect. Is there something else I can check to see if the problem is potentially on my side?

Any help/feedback would be appreciated

Last edited:

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Can you post your Line Stats, and what is your tel number, just the area code and first three digits eg 011555

koosbeer

Line stats:
ADSL router results
Current Downstream Sync
5117kbps
SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio)
24.5dB
Attenuation
20.0dB

DSLAM Results (Your Location to Telkom Exchange)
Current Upstream Sync
511kbps
16.1dB
Attenuation
37.5dB

My area code is 012 333

Thabks hummercellc, any input is appreciated

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Looks like a Network issue in your area as below, the problem is not on your side.

We are aware that your line is currently down and we are working hard to get this up and running shortly.
Date reported: 2016-08-24 10:46
Reference number: 11668
DN Number: 012333
DSLAM: queenswood msan 01, riviera 3 imax, queenswood msan 02, queenswood msan 06, queenswood msan 04, queenswood msan 03, queenswood, queenswood imax, lyttelton msan d6
Line stats:
ADSL router results
Current Downstream Sync
5117kbps
24.5dB
Attenuation
20.0dB

DSLAM Results (Your Location to Telkom Exchange)
Current Upstream Sync
511kbps
16.1dB
Attenuation
37.5dB

My area code is 012 333

Thabks hummercellc, any input is appreciated

koosbeer

Thanks hummer. Problem must be going on for a while now. Like I said. Reported it on the 17th when the line went down.

koosbeer

So the Telkom techs rocked up Saterday afternoon. I informed them of the type of issue. They then said they would return to the exchange and give it a new port. I informed them that I a port recreate has happened and did not solve the issue. They said they would swop out the port and then call me to check if it is working.

A hour later I get an SMS from Telkom saying the issue is resolved. No phone call from the techs or anyone. Needless to say the fault was not resolved! The same problem was still there. For an added bonus every time I reset the modem the synch rate goes down as well. Telkom sent that crappy little "reply no if the fault is not resolved". I replied no. Afrihost sent an email from the line department:

"Type of update: Telkom has received a reply that the fault is NOT resolved. This means we are in something of a loop now: maybe we won't start again at the beginning. Please let Afrihost Lines know what problem remains (e.g. the original problem, or some new problem): we can update the fault so that Telkom has better information to work with."

That got the blood boiling as I sent them (Afrihost) an email immediately saying that the same errors persists. So here I am, in limbo. No feedback from anyone. Probably in the back of the repair queue again. Afrihost is not replying. Telkom is not replying. 11 days now without any service.

If Afriohost reps are maybe reading this maybe you can help?

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
So the Telkom techs rocked up Saterday afternoon. I informed them of the type of issue. They then said they would return to the exchange and give it a new port. I informed them that I a port recreate has happened and did not solve the issue. They said they would swop out the port and then call me to check if it is working.

A hour later I get an SMS from Telkom saying the issue is resolved. No phone call from the techs or anyone. Needless to say the fault was not resolved! The same problem was still there. For an added bonus every time I reset the modem the synch rate goes down as well. Telkom sent that crappy little "reply no if the fault is not resolved". I replied no. Afrihost sent an email from the line department:

"Type of update: Telkom has received a reply that the fault is NOT resolved. This means we are in something of a loop now: maybe we won't start again at the beginning. Please let Afrihost Lines know what problem remains (e.g. the original problem, or some new problem): we can update the fault so that Telkom has better information to work with."

That got the blood boiling as I sent them (Afrihost) an email immediately saying that the same errors persists. So here I am, in limbo. No feedback from anyone. Probably in the back of the repair queue again. Afrihost is not replying. Telkom is not replying. 11 days now without any service.

If Afriohost reps are maybe reading this maybe you can help?
:(

That's definitely not a cool experience.

Can you please PM me your DSL line number and I'll follow-up on this.

Devo1

Sorry, a bit of a day. Ive sent you the details
Necro sorry!

Koosbeer did Telkom ever sort out your Lost Carrier issue? I am having the same trouble for the past month or 2 with no end in sight.

Telkom just says that my line is syncing and the problem is my Router setup (username and password). So i just leave on my router and then about 30 minutes later sometimes the internet will come back on for anything from a few minutes to an hour or 2 before it dies again

koosbeer

Hi devo1. Massive necro indeed :) luckily om not dealing with their garbage anymore so I can't give recent info. I tried some trial accounts from other isps and tried some friends accounts as well. I honestly can't remember how it was solved. I know my line was a mess and they came and fixed it many many times with 10 days to 3 weeks in between with them giving me the run around. My advise? Rip the line at the tower then they'll send someone out.

Sorry I can't be more useful