7 ways to make your Windows PC boot up faster

McT

The Humble Scot!
While many users prefer Windows 7 to Windows 10, the newer operating system does have its advantages – including a quicker boot time.
I'll use the extra minute or so waiting with my Windows 7 OS making me a cuppa :p

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Had to check the post date of this. How is this even a topic anymore?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Pretty dangerous advice in this article.

Playing around in task manager can have all sorts of unwanted outcomes.
Cleaning the desktop is okay.
Fiddling around in BIOS without knowing exactly what you want to achieve and why is a recipe for lots of trouble.
Enabling "fast startup" (it is the default anyway) is also not a good idea, especially if you are running on battery only and cannot easily recharge. What it boils down to is your PC "never" truly switches off, hence why you think it is starting faster. Also known to cause problems with certain updates.
The hardware related suggestions are good ones provided you are sure that whatever you choose is compatible with your PC/laptop.

Thor

Honorary Master
You know Kevin, something that I wanted from this article that would have changed my opinion of you is if you added your own bit of flare.

Let me give you an example, I was reading the article in the back of my mind thinking lol this is all bs the only right answer is install a different OS. (Tongue in cheeck of course).

But whilst in that mindset, imagine if I continued reading and at the very end you have a bonus number 8 / install linux mint is a good starting OS to replace MS for instance something to that extent.

----
Because when I see a article on mybb with a odd number 7 ways, 5 tips etc then I get flashback of what I learned in marketing its a old trick that odd numbers of facts suggest the content of the list has been dictated by the nuggets of information available, making in more authentic, than even numbered lists. In other words I do not read mybb articles that use this tactic, but I decided hey this article has potential perhaps Kevin has a special something installed the opportunity to plug in a giggle is certainly there, but sadly imo missed.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Pretty dangerous advice in this article.

Playing around in task manager can have all sorts of unwanted outcomes.
Cleaning the desktop is okay.
Fiddling around in BIOS without knowing exactly what you want to achieve and why is a recipe for lots of trouble.
Enabling "fast startup" (it is the default anyway) is also not a good idea, especially if you are running on battery only and cannot easily recharge. What it boils down to is your PC "never" truly switches off, hence why you think it is starting faster. Also known to cause problems with certain updates.
The hardware related suggestions are good ones provided you are sure that whatever you choose is compatible with your PC/laptop.
No.
Fast start-up logs you off to the point that no user is logged in and then saves that state. You then boot again from that state. It's a form of hibernation.
The reason updates don't work properly is that your system doesn't properly shut down, a restart will cold boot.

And fiddling in task manager, start-up, there are no "critical" applications in there.

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
You know Kevin, something that I wanted from this article that would have changed my opinion of you is if you added your own bit of flare.

Let me give you an example, I was reading the article in the back of my mind thinking lol this is all bs the only right answer is install a different OS. (Tongue in cheeck of course).

But whilst in that mindset, imagine if I continued reading and at the very end you have a bonus number 8 / install linux mint is a good starting OS to replace MS for instance something to that extent.

----
Because when I see a article on mybb with a odd number 7 ways, 5 tips etc then I get flashback of what I learned in marketing its a old trick that odd numbers of facts suggest the content of the list has been dictated by the nuggets of information available, making in more authentic, than even numbered lists. In other words I do not read mybb articles that use this tactic, but I decided hey this article has potential perhaps Kevin has a special something installed the opportunity to plug in a giggle is certainly there, but sadly imo missed.
Thanks for the post. I will be sure to pass this on to the article author, Jamie.

konfab

Honorary Master
inb4# install linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No.
Fast start-up logs you off to the point that no user is logged in and then saves that state. You then boot again from that state. It's a form of hibernation.
The reason updates don't work properly is that your system doesn't properly shut down, a restart will cold boot.

And fiddling in task manager, start-up, there are no "critical" applications in there.
Call it hibernation whatever. The PC stays in a mode where it draws power. And in that state various routines are still active and they may conflict with the update process. Fairly well documented. The solution then is to "restart" anyway. So, why not let the PC shutdown properly in the fist place and live with the extra few minutes it takes to start up?
And yes I have seen plenty of hassles when processes in task manager are just terminated without understanding what they do. It is easy for us more familiar with computers to gauge the impact of process X. It is another thing for general users out there to take this advice especially as the article does not back up the more dangerous suggestions with examples of what can be done safely by non-IT people.

So my opinion is still we could have all done without this article . It contributes very little to the knowledge base.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
Very good summation!

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Step one: Clean install on a SSD

Step two: Type these into powershell.

Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Music.Preview" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingTravel" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.People" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingFinance" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.3DBuilder" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingNews" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxApp" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingSports" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Getstarted" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingWeather" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BioEnrollment" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsStore" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" | Remove-AppxPackage

It's damn well terrible that microsoft decided to stoop to this level.

Step: 3 after loading whatever you want. Have a look at your startup items and remove unwanted stuff.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Call it hibernation whatever.The PC stays in a mode where it draws power. And in that state various routines are still active and they may conflict with the update process. Fairly well documented. The solution then is to "restart" anyway. So, why not let the PC shutdown properly in the fist place and live with the extra few minutes it takes to start up?
And yes I have seen plenty of hassles when processes in task manager are just terminated without understanding what they do. It is easy for us more familiar with computers to gauge the impact of process X. It is another thing for general users out there to take this advice especially as the article does not back up the more dangerous suggestions with examples of what can be done safely by non-IT people.

So my opinion is still we could have all done without this article . It contributes very little to the knowledge base.
No, do you even know what hibernation is? None of that is active. Whatever is in RAM gets dumped to the disc and the machine is off. On boot that image state is loaded back onto the disc and you resume from there. Fast boot is nearly exactly the same as hibernate.
Fast Startup combines elements of a cold shutdown and the hibernate feature. When you shut down your computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows closes all applications and logs off all users, just as in a normal cold shutdown. At this point, Windows is in a state very similar to when it’s freshly booted up: No users have logged in and started programs, but the Windows kernel is loaded and the system session is running. Windows then alerts device drivers that support it to prepare for hibernation, saves the current system state to the hibernation file, and turns off the computer.
https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/
The power drain issue was an intel driver for some dell devices, that was fixed ages ago.

Why not let the PC shut down properly? Because I have better things to do with my time, there is a windows update every ~2 weeks and on shutdown there is an added option of a shutdown - and install updates for those days you need to install updates. Less hassle for the user is always good, if it saves me 2 minutes every day, that's nearly half a day a year saved for most of us, think of corporations with thousands of employees and the impact that would have.

Processes being terminated is not the same as disabled at start-up as is the window in task manager.

Your opinion is another matter entirely, for this being a tech website it is completely appropriate.

Step one: Type these into powershell.

Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Music.Preview" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingTravel" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.People" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingFinance" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.3DBuilder" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingNews" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxApp" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingSports" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Getstarted" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingWeather" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BioEnrollment" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsStore" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" | Remove-AppxPackage
One drive?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Plenty of PCs with Intel processors in them. My one I am using right now will continue to draw power in the so called fast start mode. I have measured it many times. It is a bad idea for many home users. The time saved? well in SA more time is wasted in the tea rooms of large corporates than will ever be "wasted" if devices start up from scratch in the mornings.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Step one: Clean install on a SSD

Step two: Type these into powershell.

It's damn well terrible that microsoft decided to stoop to this level.

Step: 3 after loading whatever you want. Have a look at your startup items and remove unwanted stuff.
Absolutely, get rid of the "stuff" you do not want especially in the business environment. BUT, this is the same as happens on Smart phones is it not? Why MS had to follow suit heaven only knows.