91 missing after massive landslide in China

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
25,095
Reaction score
2,032
Location
Durban
A landslide at an industrial park in southern China buried more than 20 buildings and left 27 people missing on Sunday, state media reported, as more than 1,500 emergency workers searched the scene.

Hundreds of rescuers pulled four people from the debris after the mudslide in the southern city of Shenzhen in the province of Guangdong bordering Hong Kong, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

It said three of the victims suffered slight injuries while the fourth was unhurt.

It was unclear whether there had been any fatalities and Xinhua did not elaborate on the 27 people it said were missing.

Earlier in the day the agency reported 41 missing.



About 900 people were reportedly moved out of harm's way before the landslide struck late in the morning, according to the Shenzhen Evening News newspaper.

The area has been a large construction site for more than two years.

Soil that had been excavated and stored on a hill turned into mud after heavy rain, causing the landslide.

A video posted by Xinhua showed a massive dust cloud and piles of rubble where buildings once stood. Rescue helicopters were in operation near the scene.

A landslide last month that engulfed 27 homes in rural Zhejiang province killed 38 people.

Source
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/12/dozens-missing-massive-landslide-china-151220130002098.html
 
landslide1.jpg

Land slide2.jpg

pictures from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-35144579



CWw9KBCWcAE_RD7.jpg:large


From:https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/678984901090127872/photo/1
 
Last edited:
China landslide leaves 59 missing, sparks blast

Beijing - A landslide which swept through an industrial park in southern China buried more than 30 buildings in a sea of mud, left 59 people missing and triggered a gas explosion on Sunday, state media reported.

Witnesses described a mass of red earth and mud racing towards the park in the city of Shenzhen before burying or crushing homes and factories, twisting some of them into grotesque shapes.

In its latest update late on Sunday evening the official Xinhua news agency reported three injured and 59 still missing. It was unclear whether there had been any fatalities.

More than 1 500 emergency workers were involved in the rescue.

The slide ruptured a natural gas pipeline and triggered an explosion at the Hengtaiyu industrial park which was heard about four kilometres away, the agency said.

More at:http://www.news24.com/World/News/china-landslide-leaves-59-missing-sparks-blast-20151220
 
Horrific China landslide blamed on man-made garbage pile and rainfall

A massive landslide has left at least 91 people missing on Monday in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, and is being blamed on a pile of construction waste that has built up for over two years. No deaths have been reported, though few people trapped by the slide had been rescued alive by Monday afternoon.

The liquefied red mud and debris overtook 33 buildings in an industrial park around Noon on Sunday. Videos show buildings crumbling to the ground as the landslide rakes through them. Geysers of debris exploded into the air as the mud swept through the city.

When it was all over, mud as deep as 33 feet covered an area of 450,000 square yards, authorities reported. That’s approximately 70 football fields.

The AP reports that the slide was caused by the combination of a large, man-made pile of construction waste and rain:

More at:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...blamed-on-man-made-garbage-pile-and-rainfall/
 
When it was all over, mud as deep as 33 feet covered an area of 450,000 square yards, authorities reported. That’s approximately 70 football fields.

Woah :eek:
 
Chinese teen pulled from rubble 60 hours after mudslide

Rescuers have pulled a 19-year-old man from under the rubble caused by a landslide in China more than 60 hours after a disaster which has left scores of people missing.

The dramatic development at a dump in Shenzhen came on Wednesday as police raided the offices of the company in charge of the site and arrested the deputy general manager.

Al Jazeera's Adrian Brown, reporting from Beijing, said the rescue of Tian Zeming had raised the morale of the thousands-strong team of rescuers.

According to the official Xinhua news agency, Tian was in a stable condition and doctors were trying to save one of his feet, which had been stuck in the debris.

Tian told rescuers another survivor may have been close to where he had been trapped, but officials later said that person was found dead.

Sunday's landslide came after heavy rain in the area, with mud and waste careening into multi-storey buildings at the Hengtaiyu industrial park in the city's northwestern Guangming New District, toppling them in collisions that sent rivers of earth skyward.

More than 70 people were still missing on Wednesday, with only a handful of bodies found so far.

"Big questions are being asked here about how this was allowed to happen," Al Jazeera's Brown said.

"We are seeing a familiar theme here: lax government regulations. We know that the pile of waste had grown to be about 100m high ... and that, according to one local report, the government had warned about an accident like this happening."

The mudslide was the latest in a series of high-profile industrial accidents in China and came just months after almost 200 people died in a massive chemical blast in the port city of Tianjin.

Source
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/...rubble-60-hours-mudslide-151223041736761.html
 
Shenzhen landslide disaster: 11 arrests for negligence

Eleven people in China have been arrested for their alleged role in the Shenzhen landslide disaster.

Shenzhen prosecutors, late on Thursday, said a dispatcher and supervisor of the landfill, the chief and deputy manager of a company in charge of it, and seven other people were arrested.

They said they have been charged with negligently causing a serious accident.

The landslide happened when a hill of construction waste collapsed, leaving 74 people either missing or dead.

The formal arrests come three days after the police took what Chinese media called "coercive measures" against 12 people. It is thought the 11 arrested today were among those.

More:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-35208881
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X