A look at operating systems that time forgot

FaSMaN

Expert Member
BeOS might be gone but it left us with Haiku OS that is progressing nicely even if it is at a slow pace, it inspires to be everything we liked of BeOS and more, check it out http://www.haiku-os.org/

nihilist

Expert Member
BeOS might be gone but it left us with Haiku OS that is progressing nicely even if it is at a slow pace, it inspires to be everything we liked of BeOS and more, check it out http://www.haiku-os.org/

Yeah, BeOS was so promising, that video where they demonstrate it's multimedia capabilities and multi-threading features was amazing, plus a great minimal UI.

I've played with Haiku, very promising, but the problem with these niche projects, like Reactos etc; is that by the time they're stable enough, will they be relevant still?

Bismuth

Expert Member
Back in days of AmigaOS, my cousing from New Zealand was a huge fan, he looked down on all other OSes, must contact him again. :D

B

who.is.michael

Expert Member
...that damn annoying dog.

There should be a game where you could shoot the hell out of it (or the developer) for all the frustration it caused.

Bob

TwoCents1000

If we look at 'recent' (i.e. from the 90's onward), we should not forget SCO Unix which was the premier Intel Unix in it's day, running many business applications.

Then there was Novell's attempt to build a GUI-driven Unix, called Unixware. They had everything going for them but failed with style. And thus the mighty Novell also fell.

But the one that should get a proper mention must be CP/M.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I know of one that is all but forgotten - GeoWorks Ensemble.

Had OS/2 v2, OS/2 Warp v3, and OS/2 Warp v4. I installed Warp v3 on a pc at one ex-employer, and when all their windows PC's fell over due to a self-propagating windows virus, OS/2 was still running along :D

Also had some experience with SCO Openserver v5.0.x - very, very stable. Unfortunately, finding new drivers etc for new hardware is an excercise in futility, and it is also not easy to set up. But, once set up and configured properly, will run for years without needing any poking and prodding from administrators.

atomcrusher

Expert Member
The first desktop PC I ever had ran OS/2 .. the PC had a 10MB HDD, and had a floppy disc drive. Can,t remember what the RAM was. Also a green-screen monitor. A hi-tech setup in those days!

superfly

Ah yes, Bob... the only innovative thing to ever come out of Microsoft. Everything else we have today is either a copy of something else (Word, Excel), a derivative (MS SQL Server, Sybase anyone?), or just plain bought (hello PowerPoint!). Except DOS. DOS was essentially a pirated version of CP/M.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Interesting Article is interesting

"Fun toys are fun"

If Mac OS X is a direct descendant of Next, then an OS missing from this list is Mac OS (classic). It looks nothing like the modern incarnation (ok, maybe a little - very little). I gave my last Beige G3 to a friend of mine in about 2005 and to this day it still runs iTunes, Photoshop, Quark, Freehand etc quite comfortably. Just a bit slower I suppose than modern devices. Mac OS classic really was a dream, with 7.6.1 and 8.6 being two rock solid installations on most of my hardware in those days.

ponder

Honorary Master
Back in days of AmigaOS, my cousing from New Zealand was a huge fan, he looked down on all other OSes, must contact him again. :D

B

Considering it came out in 1985, years before others, it was well advanced and stayed more advanced even after time in the market. Truly revolutionary, your cousin had every reason to look down on the other crap available at the time.

OS/2 was also a decent thing, way more so than MSs first attempts at Windows. Pity it did not succeed as we would have been much further along today.

MS has never really made anything. But it just shows you once again you don't need a technically superior product to gain market dominance.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
and wiki link was for what? :confused:

Erm, the greatest guy that ever lived ever in cartoon world? The style in which you expressed that the article was interesting is identical to Ralph's assessment of toys during an episode where the school went bankrupt and had to sell out to toy manufacturers.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Erm, the greatest guy that ever lived ever in cartoon world? The style in which you expressed that the article was interesting is identical to Ralph's assessment of toys during an episode where the school went bankrupt and had to sell out to toy manufacturers.

oh, sorry i have not seen many Simpsons episodes, but now i know the origin of that meme, thanks :)

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
oh, sorry i have not seen many Simpsons episodes, but now i know the origin of that meme, thanks :)

Actually, I am not sure that Ralph is the origin or just the most popular perpetuation.