ABS brakes for a conquest

MR.C

Expert Member
I've got a 1996 conquest 130 and was wondering if its possible to fit ABS brakes so that its safer especially in this freak rains that we getting in Gauteng.
Buying a new car with ABS is not an option

Stokstert

Executive Member
It may be possible, but it would most probably be expensive, depends who will do the job for you.
Rather spend the money for an advanced driving course and you learn to do the braking action yourself and learn other driving skills too.

MR.C

Expert Member
and what about my wife. You know females and the lack of driving ability.
If I were in Government, I would make it legislation for all cars sold in this country to have ABS brakes.
I'm not in government, I guess I should be thankful for that also

Tosser

Rather spend the money for an advanced driving course and you learn to do the braking action yourself and learn other driving skills too.
Couldn't agree more. IMO cadence braking should be taught as a basic drving skill...

Smooth Criminal

Expert Member
For the price that you're going to have to fork out to get it done properly, you may as well sell the car and use the excess amount on a second hand car within that price range that did come with ABS (Corolla RSi/RXi, Golf 4, etc). These cars are safer too as they're more solidly built and come with airbags, better side impact protection and crumple zones.

MR.C

Expert Member
For the price that you're going to have to fork out to get it done properly, you may as well sell the car and use the excess amount on a second hand car within that price range that did come with ABS (Corolla RSi/RXi, Golf 4, etc). These cars are safer too as they're more solidly built and come with airbags, better side impact protection and crumple zones.

Its a 1996 conquest 130(not "i", and not sport) that I own.
If you could arrange to sell my car and use the excess amount on a second hand car within that price range that did come with ABS (Corolla RSi/RXi, Golf 4, etc). then I'd really really really appreciate it.
I'd appreciate it really.
I'd really appreciate the reality.

Claymore

Executive Member
I've got a 1996 conquest 130 and was wondering if its possible to fit ABS brakes so that its safer especially in this freak rains that we getting in Gauteng.
Buying a new car with ABS is not an option

It'd cost more than the value of your car. It's not a simple "bolt-on" thing. There'd be new ABS-capable brake calipers, wheel speed sensors, brake discs on the rear (you can get ABS on drum brakes, but it's very, very rare), ABS pump, probably new brake hose for the whole lot, and the electronics to handle it all. Very expensive if it's not build into the car to start with.

Dohc-WP

Expert Member
This guy did it www.miata.net/garage/abs/abs.htm but like the previous posters said it is do able but not advisable

Gnome

Executive Member
Not sure about Toyota's but with a Opel Corsa Lite for example you'd get the ABS from a Corsa C, but it costs a lot and doesn't help as much as just putting in the non-abs SuperBoss brakes, which are basically just discs front and rear that went into the Opel Kadett 16V S, makes a HUGE difference, feels like you're about to fly out the window each time you break.

You may want to try something similar on your Conquest. Rear disc brakes aren't really that helpful IMHO tho, I had them in my previous Corsa (converted front and rear to SB discs), was very powerful but this time I have drums in the back with SB brakes in the front, still stops very quickly.

Oh and depending on the size of the brakes you'll need bigger rims, I can't go lower than 15" for example, so that's something to keep in mind.