Absa CEO Maria Ramos steps down

The_MAC

Executive Member
Sinking ship perhaps?
Would imagine ABSA is under immense pressure - they don't differentiate themselves one bit. Can't imagine them living through the next 5-10 years.

FNB = Adopted the digital migration and won over a lot of client through innovative products.
Nedbank = Lots of big corporate clients which I believe is their bread and butter.
Capitec = Small and nimble, and I would imagine not as many overheads as the rest of the older banks.

Standard Bank = Don't know much about their position, but feels like they are also falling behind.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Or perhaps because she turns 60 in February? I would love to retire at 60 which seems highly unlikely at this stage. :crying:
Apparently she was quite respected, and from humble beginnings - some medium grade post in a branch in the Vaal.

surface

Executive Member
Apparently she was quite respected, and from humble beginnings - some medium grade post in a branch in the Vaal.
as per wiki, she was a waste clerk (collecting paperwork etc) when she started but some here that will comment have started from much lower position and have achieved yuge & biglier than her - so she is not really special.

The_MAC

Executive Member
as per wiki, she was a waste clerk (collecting paperwork etc) when she started but some here that will comment have started from much lower position and have achieved yuge & biglier than her - so she is not really special.
Everyone is special

Messugga

Honorary Master
Standard Bank = Don't know much about their position, but feels like they are also falling behind.
They're dominant in the rest of Africa and they're sitting on something like 18 million clients. Their business banking isn't terrible.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Lot of cynicism here...can't ppl just wish her well and good luck.

Imagine if ppl thank YOU with a kak bye bye upon retiring after working your entire life.

Honestly..I despair at most of humanity some days.

surface

Executive Member
Lot of cynicism here...can't ppl just wish her well and good luck.
Imagine if ppl thank YOU with a kak bye bye upon retiring after working your entire life.
She has accomplished a lot in her life - Do you think she cares for opinion of some on mybb?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Heading for parliament?

Or put her back at a parastatal like the used to be and there might be some hope for us.

Cius

Executive Member
ABSA culture was completely wrecked by Barclay's. I did some consulting there just after Barclay's took over and it was toxic. It has improved somewhat but its taking time. Still have a few friends there who say things have been steadily improving now that Barclay's has put up the for sale sign.

Anyways Ramos did OK under incredibly difficult conditions. She did not manage to turn ABSA around but considering what was happening behind the scene's I actually respect the fact that she largely kept ABSA limping along and actually making some profit out of it. ABSA puts a lot of food on a lot of people's table and hence I do respect them despite me working for a primary competitor.

Anyways, hope that old leather sachel you always walk around with has more space for the bird books and those nice binoculars you have Maria Ramos. Enjoy the quiet time in the bird hide.

garp

Executive Member
For some reason, it's seldom mentioned that her husband is Trevor Manuel, for anyone who wasn't aware. I've always wondered what that meant for ABSA's relationship with the ruling party. Perhaps it is irrelevant, though.

Ams1979

Heading for parliament?

Or put her back at a parastatal like the used to be and there might be some hope for us.
Multiple options even Reserve bank governer perhaps as his term is ending in Nov.