Account overdue sms. Scam or real?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
32,233
Reaction score
6,278
My aunt got this sms a few days back. Her husband just died a few months back and she never really handled finances.

Anyway, Google seems to have mixed responses so anyone else know?

Yello, overdue account warning. Please pay R 149.42 to avoid service suspension. Make payment to ABSA Bank, account no. 4063304150. Kind Regards, MTNSA
 
How about speaking to MTN and checking? It's the only possible way in the known universe of knowing whether it's true or not.

Yea I'll take her there tomorrow. Only an hour and a half drive to her house from here...
 
My aunt got this sms a few days back. Her husband just died a few months back and she never really handled finances.

Anyway, Google seems to have mixed responses so anyone else know?

Yello, overdue account warning. Please pay R 149.42 to avoid service suspension. Make payment to ABSA Bank, account no. 4063304150. Kind Regards, MTNSA

Seems legit insofar as the Account number belongs to MTN. Unless it's some kind of elaborate inside job, I'm sure they would use a different account number.
 
Seems legit insofar as the Account number belongs to MTN. Unless it's some kind of elaborate inside job, I'm sure they would use a different account number.

Thank you, all the verification I need :)
 
AstroTurf - Just tell your Aunt to contact the service provider directly if she has an MTN card, it's toll free.

To me it doesn't look legit at all! What's the senders number ?
 
AstroTurf - Just tell your Aunt to contact the service provider directly if she has an MTN card, it's toll free.

To me it doesn't look legit at all! What's the senders number ?

It is mtn's listed account number. My aunt is kind of falling apart so I made some calls and this before paying. ABSA also would not let me use the account number. I had to click on listed beneficiary.
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X