Acquiring foreign (US citizenship)

shadow_man

Executive Member
I'd like to see if this is an avenue that's possible to pursue.

Scenario:
- Grandmother born in Hollywood - parents not US citizens, citizenship never claimed by GM (have birth certificate)

Would my mother or aunt as an example have a claim to US citizenship given GM's birth location (citizenship by soil) - or would that have died off with my GM never having taken up US citizenship? Anyone know? Any way I can go about finding more - this info is proving far harder to find than UK citizenship as an example...

cguy

Executive Member
I'd like to see if this is an avenue that's possible to pursue.

Scenario:
- Grandmother born in Hollywood - parents not US citizens, citizenship never claimed by GM (have birth certificate)

Would my mother or aunt as an example have a claim to US citizenship given GM's birth location (citizenship by soil) - or would that have died off with my GM never having taken up US citizenship? Anyone know? Any way I can go about finding more - this info is proving far harder to find than UK citizenship as an example...

It’s not clear if you’re talking about your parents or your grandmothers parents by in the “scenario”. If she could get instated as a citizen, she could sponsor her children or parents (also, siblings, but these take much longer) for a green card. This may be a way to go, although I think the expectation is to “join the citizen”, so not sure how well the application would go.

A child of a citizen born outside of the country can claim citizenship if several conditions are met, and I’m pretty sure one is that the child must be under 18, so this probably doesn’t hold.

The USCIS.gov page has a lot more info on all the above.

shadow_man

Executive Member
It’s not clear if you’re talking about your parents or your grandmothers parents by in the “scenario”. If she could get instated as a citizen, she could sponsor her children or parents (also, siblings, but these take much longer) for a green card. This may be a way to go, although I think the expectation is to “join the citizen”, so not sure how well the application would go.

A child of a citizen born outside of the country can claim citizenship if several conditions are met, and I’m pretty sure one is that the child must be under 18, so this probably doesn’t hold.

The USCIS.gov page has a lot more info on all the above.

Thanks - I mean her (GM) parents weren't US citizens. So there's no "automatic" inheritance as far as I understand. They were UK nationals and never claimed any US citizenship.

cguy

Executive Member

shadow_man

Executive Member
I believe that she (your GM) would have a right to US citizenship:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthright_citizenship_in_the_United_States

But it’s too late for your mother and aunt to claim it through her. Although, your GM may be able to sponsor them for green cards.

Thanks - GM has long since passed on. So I think this particular avenue is closed.

My mom already has a UK passport through marriage, but my aunt may be able to then claim a UK passport instead as GM's dad (aunt's GF) was a UK citizen and there's a line of inheritance that's possible there through double descent.