ACSA acting like typical thugs

krycor

Honorary Master
wrt drop off zone.. its usually the metered taxi guys who are causing kak parking and hoping to get people into taking their taxis.

If you use Uber it's usually not an issue and the cops usually are after the okes parking there for longer than just drop off.. ie. getting out of car and walking into airport or loitering while hustling for commuters. So nope.. i've not heard or problems from drivers.. at Cpt they actually have designated zones for hailed services.. i reckon Jhb OR Tambo needs to do the same or scrap the drop off zone completely for hailed services only with timed ticket i.e. what Cpt essentially does.

Seems to work.. Also heavy punitive ticket cost. So your complaint about ticket prices.. yah.. park in wrong zone and u pay. I reckon the Drop Off Zone needs to be strictly personal drop off and metered via separate area all with time based ticket pricing.

krycor

Honorary Master
It all depends on how long you are away for, sometimes the Gautrain can be one of the cheaper options. And yes, I agree it is the most convenient option of them all, regardless of cost.

Take this costing example for a 14-day trip in December, from Pretoria, and using Uber to/from the Hatfield Gautrain, that I just did quickly:

ACSA ParkingR 1,728.00
Valet Parking - Mr ParkingR 900.00
EZ ShuttleR 1,200.00
Gautrain/UberR 900.00
UberR 1,014.00

In this case, I would choose the Gautrain. Just depends on the flights though.

Do an uber to Rhodesfield, Gautrain from there.. if you have time this is the cheapest(negating the airport bridge rail tax haha). Pretoria is a significant distance though in terms of cost/time.

At prev company we worked out that 1-3 days was cheaper for parking at airport, 3+ via transit Gautrain or Uber pending arival/departure time which has a cost implication too(sometimes its cheaper at odd times but service for Gautrain is not 24/7).

December travel after the 21st? usually comes with free parking which works out nicely too btw

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Do an uber to Rhodesfield, Gautrain from there.. if you have time this is the cheapest(negating the airport bridge rail tax haha). Pretoria is a significant distance though in terms of cost/time.
Trip from Rhodesfiled is like R62 and to the airport R200. How much is the uber to Rhodesfield? And is it worth the time?

Bismuth

Expert Member
Trip from Rhodesfiled is like R62 and to the airport R200. How much is the uber to Rhodesfield? And is it worth the time?

I considered that option and dismissed it, too much hassle for me, but you can decide for yourself.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I considered that option and dismissed it, too much hassle for me, but you can decide for yourself.
I just checked. Only R34 for the uber, but it is about 14 minutes. For me it is just better to take the train. Less hassle. But it currently the trains are only running every 30 minutes as well (covid), so it might work.

Bismuth

Expert Member
I just checked. Only R34 for the uber, but it is about 14 minutes. For me it is just better to take the train. Less hassle. But it currently the trains are only running every 30 minutes as well (covid), so it might work.

Ok, I figured, especially with luggage, rather take the right right into the terminal, than dragging suitcase around Rhodes. If you are travelling light, maybe then, but still might be better to have a one-change stop straight into the terminal.

Timed properly, the 30 minutes wouldn't make a difference. Like I said in an earlier post, I like to get to the airport long before check-in, so a 30-minute delay wouldn't make a difference.