Adobe Flash Zero-Day exploit

furpile

Expert Member
Trend Micro is advising that users consider disabling Flash Player until this patch is released.
Can't remember when last i had it running...

j4ck455

Executive Member
When will Flash die!?
Flash is a floater that is near impossible to flush, however YouTube (Google) could make a very significant flushing effort by completely dropping Flash and only using HTML5, this would probably result in a cascaded Flash culling exercise to the point where Flash is an endangered floater that only pops up in the siffest of Internet bogs. The challenge for YouTube would be converting gazillions of old Flash-based videos that have been around for a while.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Flash is a floater that is near impossible to flush, however YouTube (Google) could make a very significant flushing effort by completely dropping Flash and only using HTML5, this would probably result in a cascaded Flash culling exercise to the point where Flash is an endangered floater that only pops up in the siffest of Internet bogs. The challenge for YouTube would be converting gazillions of old Flash-based videos that have been around for a while.
Youtube is already html5 - - > http://youtube-eng.blogspot.com/2015/01/youtube-now-defaults-to-html5_27.html
YouTube uses HTML5 <video> by default in Chrome, IE 11, Safari 8 and in beta versions of Firefox.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Flash used to be the default on YouTube and even if you told YouTube to use HTML5 by default there are still some videos that require Flash (I know this because I don't have Flash installed and there are YouTube videos that will not stream using HTML5).

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2013/09/force-youtube-to-use-html5-player.html

My original point was that Flash will only start dying when YouTube completely stops allowing Flash to be used. Defaulting to HTML5 is not enough to flush Flash from the interwebby bogs.

Last edited:

kianm

Honorary Master
Holes holes everywhere, flash is a security curse alongside windows as a whole