ADSL not restored after load-shedding

atomcrusher

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
4,208
Reaction score
5
Location
Western Cape
I have a small APC UPS 650, and whenever we experience Load Shedding I perform an orderly shut down of my 2 x machines, i.e. 1 x Desktop PC, plus 1 x laptop.

I also switch off the power button of my Billion 400G ADSL router.

When power is restored, and has been on for about 10 minutes, I boot up the PC & the laptop, and once they are booted up, I turn on the Billion 400G router.

Invariably I get a red light on the router and so have no Internet connection.

I then run the router “troubleshoot problems” / Windows Network Diagnostics, and sometimes this restores the connection, but more often it does not, and the router still shows the red light.

Result = no connection & no internet access.

I live in a small town in the WC, and am wondering if local Telkom technicians need to perform any physical actions or resets at the local exchange.

Could this be a possible cause of my not having an ADSL connection for some time after electricity is restored?

My Telkom landline still works fine for calls during power outages
 
I have the same problem after loadshedding. My router give me a 'concentrator not reachable' error. Have no idea what this means. My isp is mweb, im hoping they provide better service than eskom.
 
Same here Im stay in Pretoria,can only visit internet with my cellphone now!
 
I have the same problem after loadshedding. My router give me a 'concentrator not reachable' error. Have no idea what this means. My isp is mweb, im hoping they provide better service than eskom.

I get exactly the same error! Also on MWEB
 
Same here in Welgemoed (Northern Suburbs of Cape Town). Red light on D-Link router and unable to access internet for 3 hours after power came back on. Tried ringing Telkom but after being in Q for 1 hour gave up. You can rest assured that it is definitely not just a problem affecting your small town.
 
Hey atom

Something not quite right in that story of yours.

That Red light means link between router and Internet is screwed. windows troubleshoot will never fix an issue between those two.

Meaning your probably looking at two problems here.

Best bet is to dial a pppoe link from your pc with dns hardcoded to 8.8.8.8 if that works then I'd hardcode dns on router and gateway on pc

Send me a pm if you don't come right - probably won't look at this thread again (on a freakin tablet)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X