ADSL speed "sharing" in household

Dubes

Expert Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2013
Messages
1,509
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Looking for some ideas regarding something I've been pondering.

A household with four family members, one of whom is a teen that seems to love hogging all the line speed to himself with downloads and game updates. This means the rest of us are left with crawling speeds for browsing etc.

My question is what is the best way to limit the amount of line speed he uses? Data is not so much of an issue, it's more the speed.

Another thing to consider, he uses multiple devices (iPad, phone, laptop and PC) to connect so not always the same device connecting.
 
Hi,

Looking for some ideas regarding something I've been pondering.

A household with four family members, one of whom is a teen that seems to love hogging all the line speed to himself with downloads and game updates. This means the rest of us are left with crawling speeds for browsing etc.

My question is what is the best way to limit the amount of line speed he uses? Data is not so much of an issue, it's more the speed.

Another thing to consider, he uses multiple devices (iPad, phone, laptop and PC) to connect so not always the same device connecting.

Encourage him to start using a download manager to shift his downloading into the evening when everybody (including himself) is sleeping. Declare 18:00-21:00 Peak Family Time or something, and nobody's allowed to run downloads or do anything too bandwidth intensive then ;) You can police all you want, but maybe just show him that there's an alternative way.
 
Oh believe me I've been encouraging timed downloads for ages but invariably something is always urgent and needs to be downloaded right now...
 
Asus router running Tomato sorted out my house. 3 kids that love YouTube, twitch, etc...
Setup bandwidth limiting and QoS.
Can also see real-time usage and history.
 
I'm using the MWeb FON router currently. Would that be able to be used with that router?
 
I'm using the MWeb FON router currently. Would that be able to be used with that router?
Hunt out any router that supports Tomato, then hook it up to your Mweb DSL modem. Should be able to do it quite cheaply.
I only went asus cause I love their stuff.
 
A cheap Mikrotik will do this nicely.
 
Thanks. I've just looked at scoop distribution's website.

Please may we talk about this like lay people :D

What exactly am I dealing with here? Would this plug into my router or act as a router?

And why the R900 one. I see they have a R500 one? Do I need the former to give me all the limiting and QOS settings I need?
 
Was playing D3 last night and latency went into the orange. A quick glance up at the mikrotik mounted on the wall showed me the internet line being maxed.
Fire up Torch on the router to see what's doing the downloading - it's the sprog's iphone
Clicky clicky, rate limit on IP address at 5mbps activated... D3 back into the green
 
Thanks. I've just looked at scoop distribution's website.

Please may we talk about this like lay people :D

What exactly am I dealing with here? Would this plug into my router or act as a router?

And why the R900 one. I see they have a R500 one? Do I need the former to give me all the limiting and QOS settings I need?

You plug it into your existing router. There's a steep learning curve configuring them but there are people here that will be able to help you.
 
Was playing D3 last night and latency went into the orange. A quick glance up at the mikrotik mounted on the wall showed me the internet line being maxed.
Fire up Torch on the router to see what's doing the downloading - it's the sprog's iphone
Clicky clicky, rate limit on IP address at 5mbps activated... D3 back into the green

Now that sounds great! When you say "fire up torch", is that an application that runs on the PC?
 
You plug it into your existing router. There's a steep learning curve configuring them but there are people here that will be able to help you.
Sounds like it might be needed :D

Someone mentioned a specific model. When searching I found three ranging from R500-R1000. Do the "entry level" mikrotik's not have the same functionality? What should I be looking out for when buying to ensure it does the job needed?
 
http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/product_info.php/ros-5xfe-1x24ghz-1xpoe-out-1xusb-p-1463

Has everything you will need, Including wireless - R675

What you will do is have your DSL Router with Wifi disabled on it, One ethernet cable going from the DSL router accross to the Mikrotik.

The mikrotik will manage everything, From wireless, To shaping, to rate limiting, dialing isp accounts, Traceroutes, and like 10,000 things more.

As long as your router supports bridged or half-bridge mode ;)
 
That router supports that, shusshh you'll chase the guy away before he even logs into winbox for the first time
 
Was playing D3 last night and latency went into the orange. A quick glance up at the mikrotik mounted on the wall showed me the internet line being maxed.
Fire up Torch on the router to see what's doing the downloading - it's the sprog's iphone
Clicky clicky, rate limit on IP address at 5mbps activated... D3 back into the green
So no QoS?
 
http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/product_info.php/ros-5xfe-1x24ghz-1xpoe-out-1xusb-p-1463

Has everything you will need, Including wireless - R675

What you will do is have your DSL Router with Wifi disabled on it, One ethernet cable going from the DSL router accross to the Mikrotik.

The mikrotik will manage everything, From wireless, To shaping, to rate limiting, dialing isp accounts, Traceroutes, and like 10,000 things more.

Excellent. It was Scoop Distribution that I'd taken a look at when Mikrotik was mentioned.

Is the wifi range on these things good? With my old router I had some dead spots in the house, the FON router resolved those.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X