Adverts are coming to Telegram

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am surprised they are only considering it now as I run two bot controlled channels on Telegram since whenever, one promotional and the other broadcasting service updates. Opt in opt out, and it works. Though these are private, I can see it applied to a publicly broadcasted channel or wall to be socially apt, so Twitter-like, yes.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just to add, WhatsApp have the same idea, only that it will be applied to the status wall.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
The biggest problem is not your private data but your social graph. We have seen in the last couple of years how social media is used to manipulate people (Cambridge Analytical, Bell Pottinger etc) based on social connections. The issue is not some post or small piece of information - it is about systemic threat based on large scale social profiling.

Switching to Signal is like a vaccine - it creates greater immunity for the society at large.

The great thing is that Signal does not have your social graph and it is not for profit.
Until it is.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I dont see a issue. This wont affect most people. Majority only use it for private one on one and group chats, which wont be affected by ads. Mense moenie hulle bloomers bepis oor niks nie. :rolleyes:

Nereus77

However, these ads will not be shown in private one-on-one or group chats, Durov emphasised, but rather on Telegram’s public one-to-many channels.
I feel like this is key information...

rambo919

Honorary Master
I don't get why people are scared of ads.... what exactly entitles you to use someone else's servers for free?

Free offline apps carry different ethics requirements to online apps.

If you use an online app for free contribute you stingy bastids.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I don't get why people are scared of ads.... what exactly entitles you to use someone else's servers for free?

Free offline apps carry different ethics requirements to online apps.

If you use an online app for free contribute you stingy bastids.

Personally.... I would rather pay for the service for a monthly or yearly fee. WhatsApp was gonna do it. Think it was like R10 a year or something stupid cheap. Then everyone wet their panties. So they had to sell to Facebook. Now everyone still wet their panties.

Nereus77

"Free and independent" is how Telegram wants to stay.
They don't want intrusive ads.
They don't want to ruin the 1-to-1 communication experience.
All of the features that are currently available will remain free
They want to add "premium" features for those that want it (like business features).
They want users to be able to generate monetization as well (like a marketplace for stickers and themes)
Most users won't even notice.

I think all of this is fair.

1. We are not going to sell the company like the founders of Whatsapp. The world needs Telegram to stay independent as a place where users are respected and high-quality service is ensured. Telegram must continue to serve the world as an example of a tech company that strives for perfection and integrity. And, as the sad examples of our predecessors show, that is impossible if you become part of a corporation.

2. Telegram is here to stay for a long time. We began developing our apps for our personal use over 8 years ago and have come a long way since then. In the process, Telegram changed the way people communicate in several aspects – encryption, functionality, simplicity, design, speed. This journey has just started. There’s much more we can – and will – bring to the world.

3. In order to make points 1 and 2 possible, Telegram will begin to generate revenue, starting next year. We will do it in accordance with our values and the pledges we have made over the last 7 years. Thanks to our current scale, we will be able to do it in a non-intrusive way. Most users will hardly notice any change.

4. All the features that are currently free will stay free. We will add some new features for business teams or power users. Some of these features will require more resources and will be paid for by these premium users. Regular users will be able to keep enjoying Telegram – for free, forever.

5. All parts of Telegram devoted to messaging will remain ad-free. We think that displaying ads in private 1-to-1 chats or group chats is a bad idea. Communication between people should be free of advertising of any sort.

6. In addition to its messaging component, Telegram has a social networking dimension. Our massive public one-to-many channels can have millions of subscribers each and are more like Twitter feeds. In many markets the owners of such channels display ads to earn money, sometimes using third-party ad platforms. The ads they post look like regular messages, and are often intrusive. We will fix this by introducing our own Ad Platform for public one-to-many channels – one that is user-friendly, respects privacy and allows us to cover the costs of servers and traffic.

7. If Telegram starts earning money, the community should also benefit. For example, If we monetize large public one-to-many channels via the Ad Platform, the owners of these channels will receive free traffic in proportion to their size. Or, if Telegram introduces premium stickers with additional expressive features, the artists who make stickers of this new type will also get a part of the profit. We want millions of Telegram-based creators and small businesses to thrive, enriching the experience of all our users.

This is the Telegram way.

eg2505

Honorary Master
at least they stuck to their guns on this, and didnt sell to some megacorp like Google.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
The biggest problem is not your private data but your social graph. We have seen in the last couple of years how social media is used to manipulate people (Cambridge Analytical, Bell Pottinger etc) based on social connections. The issue is not some post or small piece of information - it is about systemic threat based on large scale social profiling.

Switching to Signal is like a vaccine - it creates greater immunity for the society at large.

The great thing is that Signal does not have your social graph and it is not for profit.
Agree with your comments around social graph but Signal has been hacked more than once AFAIK? Maybe not the best prescription.

Hackson

These are the ads I'm getting right now. Don't think this is enough to get me off Gmail. Certainly wouldn't leave WhatsApp because of this. Although I do pay to block YouTube ads.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210130-091524~2.png
    Screenshot_20210130-091524~2.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 10

Aghori

Honorary Master
Awesome journalism. 99.9% of users won't see any ads. They are for corporate channel things, similar to a Twitter feed, that relatively few people use. Regular chats and groups won't see any ads.

"However, these ads will not be shown in private one-on-one or group chats, Durov emphasised, but rather on Telegram’s public one-to-many channels."

I mean it's right there in the story. No need for a click-bait headline.

Edit: Jesus Christ. MyBB edited the click-bait to make it even worse.

Untitled.png