Advice please.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Evening, some of you may remember that i have posted a story relating to what is going on at our company with regards to our boss not paying his taxes, pensions and workmens compensation etc etc, well today the MEIBC came to us and he sat with the guy behind closed doors but before the guy came our boss sent 3 casuals home, the one guy has been a casual for 18 yrs the other 2 are permanent casuals in otherwords they been casuals for a long long time now. he also took out their clock cards and packed them away.

i dont know how much he owes the MEIBC but i would reckon with everyone wanting money it could be a big sum of money, and from what i understand he has agreed to pay them a set amount every month.

should we leave this matter as it is now and carry on with our daily work or should we bring it to someones attention that he is not being very underhanded.

your peoples input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Tough situation, and like BTech says, you may not have all the facts.

I agree that you should plan your exit and go. But I also think that you should ensure that those who are being exploited - if you believe and have evidence that they are being exploited - understand that there is a system of rights and recourse that they can take up.

Fighting crime begins in our immediate surroundings!

I'm guessing that this is a white guy taking advantage of under-educated black labourers. In making your decision about what to do, you may want to consider a macro picture. We live in a country that is deeply divided racially, and where a lot of animosity exists because of the mind-body-and-soul exploitation that was apartheid. White people love to talk about how apartheid is over, but so often they gaily ignore the continuing apartheid that continues before their very eyes. No wonder Zuma has so much support!

Provide information/education- what others chose to do with that information is up to them. Absolutely do not go squealing to the authorities, because you don't have all the information and it may very well be that this little situation is actually quite comfortable for all involved.

This is just my perspective based on the info you have given, which obviously does not give us the full story.

Btw, because this guy is not paying worker's pensions, the rest of us will have to pay to support these people in the future.

DDV TECH

Expert Member
I'm guessing that this is a white guy taking advantage of under-educated black labourers.

This is just my perspective based on the info you have given, .
How the hell did you come to that conclusion based on Wayne’s post? He did not mention race at all? :confused:

DDV TECH

Expert Member
thanks all for the input.
Ok ok sorry, I get it. My advice would be to get an exit strategy as suggested, if this is the way he does business the rest of you aren’t that well off either I assume. The right thing to do, obviously would be to inform the authorities, but once again as suggested, have your ducks in a row first. You have to measure up how much this weighs on your conscience and then compare it to you need to support your family, in the end only you can make that decision. Exit if possible, and then report, that would perhaps be the best advice I can give. :)

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
its such a long story with this company and its a small company there are only 10 guys in the factory and should anything happen everyone is out of work. as this company is my boss and its his own company he is a law unto himself. its a tough decision to make when it comes to telling some higher powers whats going on here.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
its such a long story with this company and its a small company there are only 10 guys in the factory and should anything happen everyone is out of work. as this company is my boss and its his own company he is a law unto himself. its a tough decision to make when it comes to telling some higher powers whats going on here.
I hope you are not a shareholder/director/manager/officer....you could get into trouble if you know about it & don't report it.

+1 for well planned exit.:eek:

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
ha ha no i am an office worker i just chase the pen around the desk and swop the carbon paper in the invoice book when he walks pass.