Advice

tottenham

Hey Guys,

I am currently on the Telkom 50GB deal. I am cancelling as i want more data and because its Hellkom after all. Im currently paying R749.00 per month. After doing a bit of research i dont want to get Fibre(little expensive with the installation costs etc). So here is my plan and please let me know if you think its good:

Get 1 X Rain LTE sim card @R250.00 per month(unlimited date from 11pm - 6pm) .
Get 1 X Cell C 50 GB sim only @ R349.00 per month
Total value: R599.00 per month

Thoughts?

Yuu

Expert Member
Who is the fibre provider and what area?

I would say bad idea if you can get fibre and choose rain over that.

newby_investor

Expert Member
In my area, you can get uncapped fibre with Octotel for the same price (granted, it's only 10 Mbps but that's plenty for most people). Vumatel and Frogfoot are both only a little bit more than that.

The Rain LTE @R250/m seems quite good value, I'm on fixed Rain and I haven't had any complaints. From what I've heard though, the CellC fixed LTE is quite awful though that's definitely a YMMV.

ghostim

Expert Member
Rain Mobile:
Ping: 45ms
Download: 41.38Mbps
Upload: 18.06Mbps
Telkom Uncapped LTE:
Ping: 22ms
Download: 51.12Mbps
Upload: 7.01Mbps

inanabhay

get Rain, stay away from everybody else

with Rain, you only need i sim (or get more if you want), get the R250pm off-peak, set a spend limit to cover your needs for the peak period

newby_investor

Expert Member
get Rain, stay away from everybody else

with Rain, you only need i sim (or get more if you want), get the R250pm off-peak, set a spend limit to cover your needs for the peak period
The problem with that is, at R50/GB, either you get capped very quickly or you blow through a lot of money watching one or two movies.