Afrihost Fibre - What a joke!

ChrisThomas

I have been a client of Afrihost for about 6 years now. I have recently moved over from my current fiber to Afrihost.

I have had their fiber for weeks without being able to use it and every single excuse has been that they outsource their services so they just blame literally everybody for the faults that have occurred. I have complained twice with nobody seeming to give a toss.

Honestly what happened, this company used to be at the forefront of customer service? I see so much negative press now.

I will most likely cancel my service with them soon. I cannot be dealing with this.

From them taking over a week to install, some days not showing up when I took time off from work to be there, nobody assisting me to actually get the internet working, them telling me they simply do not send out technicians to help me diagnose the problem I must just send the router back, YEAH AT MY EXPENSE!!!! The call center is a joke they have transferred me all over the place and nobody seems to care it's all just whatever to them apparently. I tried to explain what I had been dealing with and I felt as though I was having to defend my self from the argumentative fiber call center guy who was just plain rude and not helpful at all.

Pathetic effort all round.

The Latest:

I'm getting billed, for their router not working and the best part is they still haven't even come to fetch it, they missed their appointment and just never bothered to call me so I still have a router that I'm now paying even more for...

NelCapeTown

I must admit that I'm also very disappointed in Afrihost fibre offerings. I signed up for 100Mbps upload and download unshaped, uncapped, unthrottled. I get 11Mbps for short 2 second intervals, but most of the time my connection is way below 1Mbps. At my previous house, I had fibre through Vox and I actually got the speed that they advertised (50Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. I doubt that I'll stay on Afrihost for very long. I think their contention ratio must be ridiculous compared to that of Vox.

RazorCPT

Hey guys, got to mention that my fibre has been working beautifully at both my place and my folks' place from day one (mine was a migration on SADV, my folks was a new install with Vuma). I have noticed on mybb that a lot of the times the hassles people have end up being FNO related which seems to somewhat explain the fact that some people are fine on Afrihost while others are not. However the support experience you receiving does sound terrible and its time @AfriGuy @AfriFella step in and sort things out.

pedruid

Expert Member
I must admit that I'm also very disappointed in Afrihost fibre offerings. I signed up for 100Mbps upload and download unshaped, uncapped, unthrottled. I get 11Mbps for short 2 second intervals, but most of the time my connection is way below 1Mbps. At my previous house, I had fibre through Vox and I actually got the speed that they advertised (50Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. I doubt that I'll stay on Afrihost for very long. I think their contention ratio must be ridiculous compared to that of Vox.
Sorry to hear your tales of woe. I have Frogfoot laid in my area and not far from being lit. I also have been with Afrihost on 10 Mbps Telkom ADSL for many years and intend getting the same as you 50/5. As Vox own Frogfoot maybe I’d be better served by going with them. If there’s a balls up then it should be easier to get it sorted. Have you heard good things about Vox?

cavedog

Honorary Master
It's interesting and these posts contentiously remind me of ADSL days. We used to always blame our ISP for poor performance on ADSL and switching from ADSL to fibre means problems are gone. Except now there are so many cable providers all with different hardware, different network rollouts and all with their issues and we back where we were complaining about slow speeds and poor performance.

I look at the CISP thread and there are complaints too. Most cases are related fibre cable provider. Packet loss is a speed killer especially on fast lines. Do some tests to determine if your line has packet loss. Once thing is for sure most ISP's do not shape or throttle and if your speeds are not what you pay for something is wrong and likely changing ISP's will not solve the issue.

For me personally Afrihost has been pretty epic network wise. Stable fast always line speed 24/7 on an Openserve 200/100Mbps line. The issues I had with SA's best fibre network Supersonic I'm really pleasantly surprised how well Afrihost is working.

Loppas

Highly doubt that its afrihost, sounds like you have a line or FNO issue.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Highly doubt that its afrihost, sounds like you have a line or FNO issue.
Yeah I agree. If you tell me you received poor support then I can believe, Higher latency on certain international destinations yes, routing issue very believable but getting like 1Mbps and maybe 11Mbps short burst on a 100Mbps line. Nah that sounds like a line issue with a ton of packet loss or congestion on the cable provider side.

NelCapeTown

Sorry to hear your tales of woe. I have Frogfoot laid in my area and not far from being lit. I also have been with Afrihost on 10 Mbps Telkom ADSL for many years and intend getting the same as you 50/5. As Vox own Frogfoot maybe I’d be better served by going with them. If there’s a balls up then it should be easier to get it sorted. Have you heard good things about Vox?
As I said. I used Vox at my previous house and I had only good things to say about them. The reason why I didn't go with them this time was because my landlady had been with Afrihost for years on ADSL and said that she had a really good experience with them.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
I have been a client of Afrihost for about 6 years now. I have recently moved over from my current fiber to Afrihost.

I have had their fiber for weeks without being able to use it and every single excuse has been that they outsource their services so they just blame literally everybody for the faults that have occurred. I have complained twice with nobody seeming to give a toss.

Honestly what happened, this company used to be at the forefront of customer service? I see so much negative press now.

I will most likely cancel my service with them soon. I cannot be dealing with this.

From them taking over a week to install, some days not showing up when I took time off from work to be there, nobody assisting me to actually get the internet working, them telling me they simply do not send out technicians to help me diagnose the problem I must just send the router back, YEAH AT MY EXPENSE!!!! The call center is a joke they have transferred me all over the place and nobody seems to care it's all just whatever to them apparently. I tried to explain what I had been dealing with and I felt as though I was having to defend my self from the argumentative fiber call center guy who was just plain rude and not helpful at all.

Pathetic effort all round.

The Latest:

I'm getting billed, for their router not working and the best part is they still haven't even come to fetch it, they missed their appointment and just never bothered to call me so I still have a router that I'm now paying even more for...
I am so sorry that your experience with us has been poor. This is not what we wish for our clients. My team and I are willing and able to assist you here on mybroadband. Please drop me a PM and I will assist.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Oh no! 11mbps on a 100mbps is really not good and I understand why you are disappointed. I would really like to make it up to you. Can you drop me a PM with your clientzone username so I can investigate this for you?

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
It's interesting and these posts contentiously remind me of ADSL days. We used to always blame our ISP for poor performance on ADSL and switching from ADSL to fibre means problems are gone. Except now there are so many cable providers all with different hardware, different network rollouts and all with their issues and we back where we were complaining about slow speeds and poor performance.

I look at the CISP thread and there are complaints too. Most cases are related fibre cable provider. Packet loss is a speed killer especially on fast lines. Do some tests to determine if your line has packet loss. Once thing is for sure most ISP's do not shape or throttle and if your speeds are not what you pay for something is wrong and likely changing ISP's will not solve the issue.

For me personally Afrihost has been pretty epic network wise. Stable fast always line speed 24/7 on an Openserve 200/100Mbps line. The issues I had with SA's best fibre network Supersonic I'm really pleasantly surprised how well Afrihost is working.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the community. :)

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
@ChrisThomas

2 things.

You are not allowed to post private messages on the public forum.

You have exposed your Afrihost pppoe username which is probably not ideal but won't cause any issues because no password but maybe just better to not post it on a public forum.

I use Afrihost on Openserve with a 200Mbps line in Centurion and I guarantee you there is no network issues. Once you get the hardware issues sorted you will actually enjoy the network. I doubt you will find a suitable alternative elsewhere when you look at price and performance.

Tweebeenvis

@ChrisThomas

2 things.

You have exposed your Afrihost pppoe username which is probably not ideal but won't cause any issues because no password but maybe just better to not post it on a public forum.

I use Afrihost on Openserve with a 200Mbps line in Centurion and I guarantee you there is no network issues. Once you get the hardware issues sorted you will actually enjoy the network. I doubt you will find a suitable alternative elsewhere when you look at price and performance.
lol, It's not like his service is working anyway.....:ROFL::ROFL:

Reactions: OCP

ChrisThomas

@ChrisThomas

2 things.

Thank you. I have made the appropriate changes.

I am currently with an ISP that actually cares whether or not I have internet and they actually help me when I phone or contact them. Yes it's slightly more expensive but I will never underestimate again how much it's worth it! I cancelled not because I wouldn't be getting great internet EVENTUALLY, I cancelled purely out of my trust with Afrihost being all but obliterated. I have used their service for over 6 years and I never would have said this would happen had it not actually happened. The call centre was aggressive to me, made me feel like I was in court and justifying myself and having to raise my voice to not be spoken over, I'm sorry I'm not dealing with that when I can pay a bit more and be treated well elsewhere.

That being said, I am happy for you that you had a better experience, I guess I just got unlucky :)

Jomi101

I've recently found that being an ISP, must arguably be the biggest challenge next to trying to keep the SABC, SAA and ESCOM afloat, wow lol. Somehow ISPs are either not up to the task or the SA consumer is the worst kind to please, which is it lol?

Jomi101

Thank you. I have made the appropriate changes.

I am currently with an ISP that actually cares whether or not I have internet and they actually help me when I phone or contact them. Yes it's slightly more expensive but I will never underestimate again how much it's worth it! I cancelled not because I wouldn't be getting great internet EVENTUALLY, I cancelled purely out of my trust with Afrihost being all but obliterated. I have used their service for over 6 years and I never would have said this would happen had it not actually happened. The call centre was aggressive to me, made me feel like I was in court and justifying myself and having to raise my voice to not be spoken over, I'm sorry I'm not dealing with that when I can pay a bit more and be treated well elsewhere.

That being said, I am happy for you that you had a better experience, I guess I just got unlucky :)
I fully agree, if more money buys u what u need and what u can get out of it, like exceptional internet service, then I guess I'm in the same category as you. I'm currently also in the same boat and I don't mind to pay a bit more, for over 4yrs of exceptional service. :)

ChrisThomas

I fully agree, if more money buys u what u need and what u can get out of it, like exceptional internet service, then I guess I'm in the same category as you. I'm currently also in the same boat and I don't mind to pay a bit more, for over 4yrs of exceptional service. :)
100% - I think my biggest issue when dealing with the aggressive call centre agent was when he very matter of factly told me "WE DO NOT SEND OUT TECHNICIANS" - I even offered to pay for this if it would land me in a situation where everything was working and again I got spoken over "WE DO NOT SEND OUT TECHNICIANS" - it was really poor service I got, I actually normally keep quiet about these sorts of things, and I have given them ample opportunity to sort it out. I can show you my whatsapp history with them, I have contacted them probably 15 times to resolve this matter. I submitted my request to exchange my router over 10 days ago and still nothing, it's just unacceptable. With my current ISP, my router was acting up about 14 months into my service, this was December 23rd, within hours of my call a very nice man showed up at my house and replaced it, took about 10 minutes and no additional costs. THAT'S SERVICE!