Afrihost Fixed Wireless

tottenham

Hey guys. Quick question. Afrihost Fixed Wireless, does this operate on Cell C or Rains Network?

I just learned from Afrihost Support that their Cell C Fixed Wireless data don’t roll over as per the new regulations. I would like to report it to ICASA but against who do I file the report, Afrihost or Cell C?

MavChat

I just learned from Afrihost Support that their Cell C Fixed Wireless data don’t roll over as per the new regulations. I would like to report it to ICASA but against who do I file the report, Afrihost or Cell C?
The ICASA regulation only applies to licencees. It does not apply to Resellers and Virtual Mobile operators like ISP's.

See:
Amendments to the End-User and Subscriber Service Charter Regulations — Independent Communications Authority of South Africa

ICASA’s confusing change to its data rollover regulations

ICASA amends End-User and Subscriber Service Charter

MirageF1

Expert Member
The ICASA regulation only applies to licencees. It does not apply to Resellers and Virtual Mobile operators like ISP's.

E??! Afrihost is a Reseller and I get my RAIN data roll over....

Think my Axcess Cell C fixed wireless does as well... will need to confirm.

MavChat

E??! Afrihost is a Reseller and I get my RAIN data roll over....

Think my Axcess Cell C fixed wireless does as well... will need to confirm.

Rain has been rolling over since November. It is not managed by Afrihost.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Did your data roll over?
No, plus couldn't use all my allowance as no connection last 3 days, only came online today, start of new month.

@AfriMan @AfriFella Afrihost yes rolls over, but endless crap with billing for last year every time without fail notwithstanding endless support emails/calls promises of supervisor return calls that never materialise which to date have yielded a big fat ZERO result!

Debit order or topup payments always bounces , get charged both ends, retries that fail ,threatening emails and only resolved when I make manual EFT payment causing me additional costs.

@Afrihost-Gian

Last edited:
They would fall under VMO/reseller under the amendment.
Any idea why resellers were exempted from the ruling? It doesn’t make sense as they’re providing the same service as the other ISPs on who the ruling is binding. Afrihost allows its RAIN data to roll over but not the Cell C data. I would like to get to the crux of this and find out if it’s the ISP (RAIN or Cell C) impeding the rollover or if it’s an Afrihost thing. Can’t understand why the same service is delivered in different ways.

Interesting to see who are transparent and compliant, who are operating against the spirit of the ruling and who has no idea what they were doing when they wrote the rules.

“A reseller is licence exempt and would not have to comply with the End-User and Subscriber Service Charter regulations with respect to the services they provide to their own customers,” stated MTN.

“However, if the resellers on-sell MTN’s products in their original form, then all the compliance controls would have been implemented on MTN’s products.”

Cell C – No comment

Cell C offers MVNO services to a wide range of partners, including FNB Connect, Standard Bank Mobile, Virgin Mobile, MRP Mobile, me&you Mobile, and Trace Mobile.

Cell C did not respond to requests for comment about ICASA’s regulations.

ICASA – No comment

ICASA did not respond to requests for comment on what its intention was in exempting resellers, MVNOs, and machine-to-machine applications.”

clouduser

I also use Afrihost and they do not roll over data, despite saying on their own T&Cs that they will. Isn't this a breach of contract?

https://www.afrihost.com/site/page/terms_and_conditions/category/fixed_wireless

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Transfer of data is only available between Afrihost clients. Afrihost will be under no obligation to transfer data to external users.
Afrihost Data is valid until the end of the month of purchase. Afrihost will rollover unused data for an additional calendar month proactively.

MavChat

Afrihost allows its RAIN data to roll over but not the Cell C data.
Afrihost does not control data allocations for Rain- and Cell CT fixed wireless as it is not their data as with the case of their Mobile, ADSL and Fibreo data. Rain roll over is a Rain process, NOT Afrihosts. Only unused peak data rolls over to the next month, off peak data does not roll over.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I also use Afrihost and they do not roll over data, despite saying on their own T&Cs that they will. Isn't this a breach of contract?

https://www.afrihost.com/site/page/terms_and_conditions/category/fixed_wireless

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Transfer of data is only available between Afrihost clients. Afrihost will be under no obligation to transfer data to external users.
Afrihost Data is valid until the end of the month of purchase. Afrihost will rollover unused data for an additional calendar month proactively.
We believe that rolling over data is the right thing to do. We will do it with our services were we can. However, there are some services we don't have the control to implement this.