Afrihost International Ping (Since 27 May)

ToxicDust

Hi

So I am at my wits end with Afrihost in general. For the past month when it hits 6PM the international ping goes to a constant 1900ms spike with packet loss of around 9% from the JHB3 server to JHB2/1 servers.

I have logged the call on 27 May and every time I enquire its a "We are escalating it to the fibre team"

Clearly the fibre team isnt doing anything because it started 2 weeks prior to logging a call and when I copied Gian in he also "escalated it" but they havent even bothered getting back to me for 2 weeks.

Line is though Openserve FTTH and the package I'm on with Afrihost is 20mb up 10mb down uncapped.

I have given them till Friday to resove this as I cant game after 6pm and considering I am working till 5pm I get no use out of my internet except Netflix as the international ping goes to ****.

unnamed.png

As you can see the ping spikes in POE to 1916 often. This is chalked up to "network traffic" by the afrihost support desk that magicly kicks in every day at exactly 6pm till 6am.

unnamed (1).png

On this one you can see that there is 13% packet loss....

Ok so here is my question. With a avg usage of around 500gb a month who can I move to cause I am done fighting this fight with no answers.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Sadly this is one of the biggest obstacles for ISP's for the Openserve network. It's IPC. Very expensive and Openserve is slow to implement upgrades.

Supersonic currently has the same issue. IPC congestion. Hop 3 or hop 2 when dialing the pppoe connection directly is usually IPC receive where Openserve hands over the traffic to the ISP. If it gets congested international speeds tank and local latency skyrockets and is particularly bad when people start using more bandwidth during peak time and weekends.

Since you are on Openserve have you considered just getting a temp adsl capped account from Vox,Cybersmart,Infogro or anyone else selling a capped account to see how it works?

ToxicDust

No I havent to be honest with you. I asume I will need to setup that account then as a dailup on my PC to use?

cavedog

Honorary Master
No I havent to be honest with you. I asume I will need to setup that account then as a dailup on my PC to use?
You can just change the PPPoE detail in the router too if you want to do that. It's basically the same as adsl except the line is a fibre line. So you just signup for a free or cheapest capped adsl account and change the username and password in the router and you are set.

Some more tests you can provide Afrihost to prove the issue is on their side or to maybe scout for a possible new ISP.

ToxicDust

For some reason the PPPoE option when creating a dail up isnt connecting. Tried with a Afrihost capped account and Axxess (Sorry its the only places that had a 1gb free at this time of night)

Will get a test account in the morning

Edit -
Just checked and it seem my DIR-825 does not have bridge mode. Sigh

Last edited:

under_sky

Expert Member
Hi

So I am at my wits end with Afrihost in general. For the past month when it hits 6PM the international ping goes to a constant 1900ms spike with packet loss of around 9% from the JHB3 server to JHB2/1 servers.

I have logged the call on 27 May and every time I enquire its a "We are escalating it to the fibre team"

Clearly the fibre team isnt doing anything because it started 2 weeks prior to logging a call and when I copied Gian in he also "escalated it" but they havent even bothered getting back to me for 2 weeks.

Line is though Openserve FTTH and the package I'm on with Afrihost is 20mb up 10mb down uncapped.

I have given them till Friday to resove this as I cant game after 6pm and considering I am working till 5pm I get no use out of my internet except Netflix as the international ping goes to ****.

View attachment 671417

As you can see the ping spikes in POE to 1916 often. This is chalked up to "network traffic" by the afrihost support desk that magicly kicks in every day at exactly 6pm till 6am.

View attachment 671421

Ok so here is my question. With a avg usage of around 500gb a month who can I move to cause I am done fighting this fight with no answers.
Try vox, you pay there but back in my ADSL days they were the best

MavChat

For some reason the PPPoE option when creating a dail up isnt connecting. Tried with a Afrihost capped account and Axxess (Sorry its the only places that had a 1gb free at this time of night)

Will get a test account in the morning

Edit -
Just checked and it seem my DIR-825 does not have bridge mode. Sigh
Connect to the wifi with a laptop and go to 192.168.0.1

Password: your routers password

Click on Connections Setup
Click on WAN
Click on Advanced
Click on Add

Select PPPoE as connection type
Enter username
Enter the password
Click Apply

You should have the option to disable your afrihost details and test wit the axxess details this way.

ToxicDust

Connect to the wifi with a laptop and go to 192.168.0.1

Password: your routers password

Click on Connections Setup
Click on WAN
Click on Advanced
Click on Add

Select PPPoE as connection type
Enter username
Enter the password
Click Apply

You should have the option to disable your afrihost details and test wit the axxess details this way.

So Afrihost was nice enough to lock my line to their Uncapped package. This means that I cant connect to any other ISP no matter what I do. I first need to change my UIncapped package to Capped then I can do it but their uncapped packages locks your line apparently.

FKNLOVELY...

Last edited:

MavChat

So Afrihost was nice enough to lock my line to their Uncapped package. This means that I cant connect to any other ISP no matter what I do. I first need to change my UIncapped package to Capped then I can do it but their uncapped packages locks your line apparently.

FKNLOVELY...

FKNLOVELY...
You are not locked to an ISP when using Openserve, you can use any PPPoE account on the router to connect. If you were using any other fibre provider ie Vumatel or Octotel etc you can not do it as they use a DHCP connection which does not pass through the Openserve IPC's so no need for PPPoE details on the router.

Generally the ability to change packages makes it esaier to troubleshoot if the issue is the ISP or the line. As testing with the Telkom guest account allows only the connection to saix,net so other devices can not skew the results.

Use the instructions I gave above and set the PPP username to:
Username: guest@telkomadsl
Password: guest

If you have trouble doing this connect with the guys on whatsapp.afrihost.com or call their toll free number 0800 011 0000 (free on all SA Networks)

cavedog

Honorary Master

FKNLOVELY...
Your line is not locked to Afrihost they have no control over that. You can connect to ANY openserve adsl and fibre PPPoE details. Just change the pppoe details in the router and you are good to go. Axxess uses afrihosts network btw

VindicatoR

I've been having this issue on and off with Afrihost so far and it's horrible to experience in PoE. Wish I didn't cap my Webafrica account early this month...

1561664686755.png

VindicatoR

I'm not sure if this is happening explicitly just with Path of Exile, but for the last week at around 9:10PM every day the latency would spike like above and I would swap over to another ISP's account and the problem is gone...

Boom3laar

Been having the exact same issues with afrihost and only POE in the evenings. also switch over to another ISP and problem is gone

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Hi

View attachment 671417

View attachment 671421

Hey VindicatoR

I am so sorry that you are experiencing a latency issue. I suspect that this is related to congestion. Can you perform a traceroute when it is at it's worst and forward me the results so that I can investigate this? You can trace to afrihost.com and to twitter.com

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Been having the exact same issues with afrihost and only POE in the evenings. also, switch over to another ISP and problem is gone
Hey Boom3laar

I am so sorry that you are experiencing a latency issue. I suspect that this is related to congestion. Can you also perform a traceroute when it is at it's worst and forward me the results so that I can investigate this? You can trace to afrihost.com and to twitter.com