Afrihost/Vumatel Speed Upgrade - Terrible support service

RoosTa

Expert Member
I decided to upgrade my line and someone told me its quick to do. I needed faster upload speed as I have a project to upload this weekend, so I upgraded my line to 50Mbps+ (50/50). It mentioned that it would automatically upgrade at midnight.

Next morning I tried speed test, , but I'm still stuck on my old 20Mbps. So I thought to be a patient. Throughout the day, I receive all the emails confirming the migration and I also received the pro-rata rate invoice from 07/02/2019 till end of month. Got home, tried doing speed tests etc, still old speed.

So I tried calling their support, but lines were very busy and its expensive to hold on mobile. And thought I'd wait 1 more midnight. Same thing next morning. I tried calling support while resetting routers etc gave up, still the same. I then tried the new "revolutionary" WhatsApp (beta) support. No response.

Sent support ticket. Only automated response.

So I'm now getting charged for a service that I'm not receiving, the support does not reply and I'm thinking ... why I am using Afrihost? I'm too old for this .... and so disappointing. I used to love Afrihost. ***sniff***

Venomous

Honorary Master
Did you shut down the CPE and router?

Then restart the CPE and once it is fully up start the router.

This helped at 2 clients. Though they only went from lower packages up to 20/2

RoosTa

Expert Member
Thanks for the reply. I eventually got it sorted.

Seems like the only way to get support from Afrihost is to ask them to call you instead.

RoosTa

Expert Member
I just want to clarify something here.

The techy I spoke to (Please call me), really took his time to assist me. We probably spent a good 1 hour+ trying to figure out what the problem was.

1) He asked that I connect a device directly on to the CPE - we discovered that the service was running optimally (50/50).
2) Then we traversed my router to figure out why it kept the old speeds locked. We landed up resetting the router.

During all of this he remained on the line patiently while I was pulling cables from under desks so that I can directly connect to CPE etc. He then connected remotely to a laptop and tried fiddling with my router settings.

I've never heard that a router would "hard-lock" internet speeds, but as soon as the router was reset and configured, speeds shot up.

I then had a similar problem on my Desktop PC, where upload speeds were also hard locked to 5Mbps and had to uninstall the ethernet drivers.

So now everything is running smoothly (apart from all the loadshedding issues).

A big up for the Afrihost hero!

JOEY_8

I just want to clarify something here.

The techy I spoke to (Please call me), really took his time to assist me. We probably spent a good 1 hour+ trying to figure out what the problem was.

1) He asked that I connect a device directly on to the CPE - we discovered that the service was running optimally (50/50).
2) Then we traversed my router to figure out why it kept the old speeds locked. We landed up resetting the router.

During all of this he remained on the line patiently while I was pulling cables from under desks so that I can directly connect to CPE etc. He then connected remotely to a laptop and tried fiddling with my router settings.

I've never heard that a router would "hard-lock" internet speeds, but as soon as the router was reset and configured, speeds shot up.

I then had a similar problem on my Desktop PC, where upload speeds were also hard locked to 5Mbps and had to uninstall the ethernet drivers.

So now everything is running smoothly (apart from all the loadshedding issues).

A big up for the Afrihost hero!
Yep, that's the kind of support that used to have a few years ago. Now to get hold of them isn't very easy