Alternate VPN to Windows built in?

carstensdj

Expert Member
Hi forumites,

I have a PPTP VPN running on a Mikrotik router. When one connects through another Mikrotik router (running the VPN client on that) or through an Android phone, it works without a problem.

However when I run the VPN through Windows 10 built in VPN feature it intermittently disconnects after a few mins.

Can anyone suggest an alternative VPN client that i could use to connect? Thanks in advance!

PS: Anyone else experienced something similar?

myKey

Banned
OP do you have a PPTP server on the mikrotik or are you simply looking for a Windows client alternative?

carstensdj

Expert Member
I personally use Soft Ether. It is freeware and managed by University of Tsukuba. Works great!

https://www.softether.org/
Yea i've got this actually. Not bad at all! Do you know if one can connect to a PPTP running on a Mikrotik or if SoftEther only connects to it's own VPN server?

OP do you have a PPTP server on the mikrotik or are you simply looking for a Windows client alternative?
I've got a PPTP server on the Mikrotik and am looking for a Windows client alt. 100% correct... The Windows one keeps dropping after 2/3mins.

agentrfr

Expert Member
Yea i've got this actually. Not bad at all! Do you know if one can connect to a PPTP running on a Mikrotik or if SoftEther only connects to it's own VPN server?

I've got a PPTP server on the Mikrotik and am looking for a Windows client alt. 100% correct... The Windows one keeps dropping after 2/3mins.
AFAIK Softether works with all protocols. Personally I only use the l2tp/ipsec VPN and socks5 proxy though

mister

Executive Member
Options tab, Redialing options, is it set to never?

access

Executive Member
sounds like a config error, my windows VPN stays connected indefinitely to the mikrotik VPN server, no matter the VPN type.

ip conflict maybe?

Dizzle

Weird that the Windows one keeps dropping after 2/3mins. I know by default the Windows built-in client uses Automatic VPN type. Did you change the VPN type to PPTP?
1 question, why are you using PPTP still and not L2TP/IPSec?
PPTP is insecure

carstensdj

Expert Member
Options tab, Redialing options, is it set to never?
Yip, it's on "Never".

sounds like a config error, my windows VPN stays connected indefinitely to the mikrotik VPN server, no matter the VPN type.

ip conflict maybe?
Nope, uses it's own IP range which is routed into the company LAN range

Weird that the Windows one keeps dropping after 2/3mins. I know by default the Windows built-in client uses Automatic VPN type. Did you change the VPN type to PPTP?
1 question, why are you using PPTP still and not L2TP/IPSec?
PPTP is insecure
Yea, had to specify when setting up if I remember correctly.
Why do people say PPTP is insecure? Surely if it uses certificates and password auth it should be fairly secure?

Keskky

If you are looking for a cheaper option, try Surfshark. I got a 2-year subscription with a deal they were offering which made it $1.99 per month.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
If you are looking for a cheaper option, try Surfshark. I got a 2-year subscription with a deal they were offering which made it $1.99 per month.
Hes looking for a VPN client to connect to his existing VPN server.