Amazon unveils new server chip to take on Intel

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Amazon unveils new server chip to take on Intel

Amazon.com Inc.’s cloud unit keeps trying to eat away at Intel Corp.’s stranglehold on the server chip market.

Amazon Web Services has developed a more powerful version of its own chips to power services for cloud-computing customers, as well as some of AWS’s own programs. AWS Chief Executive Andy Jassy on Tuesday introduced a second-generation chip, called Graviton2, aimed at general-purpose computing tasks. He didn’t specify a release date.

[Bloomberg]

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Very cool... nice to see more companies pushing the ARM stuff forward...

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Shouldn't this say "Amazon unveils new server chip to further Intels' woes" - seeing as how the new AMD chips are kicking Intel around the block?

ToxicBunny

Shouldn't this say "Amazon unveils new server chip to further Intels' woes" - seeing as how the new AMD chips are kicking Intel around the block?

With 90% of the Server footprint, and Intels chips seemingly stomping all over AMD in the AI workspace, I don't think Intel are too worried about that market space for the moment.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
With 90% of the Server footprint, and Intels chips seemingly stomping all over AMD in the AI workspace, I don't think Intel are too worried about that market space for the moment.

Well, they had a similar share for desktops. And now AMD is gaining ground. I think that their to a large degree their current share in server chips is purely cause the upgrade cycles are slower than those of consumers. Once the upgrades start hitting that picture will change.

ToxicBunny

Well, they had a similar share for desktops. And now AMD is gaining ground. I think that their to a large degree their current share in server chips is purely cause the upgrade cycles are slower than those of consumers. Once the upgrades start hitting that picture will change.

Intel still has 80%+ of the desktop market share as well, even with AMD making inroads. They are not freaking out, or in danger at all at this point.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Intel still has 80%+ of the desktop market share as well, even with AMD making inroads. They are not freaking out, or in danger at all at this point.

Well, it was that thinking that got them into this position in the first place. Look at the tech site recommendations - most of them - are recommending switching to AMD - even linus tech tips.

They still have share, but I'm reasonably sure that it is mostly cause it's an expensive change and plenty of folks are sticking with what they've got for now. I doubt there is many new Intel rigs being built.