AMD unveils new Ryzen 5000 processor with built-in graphics

wizardofid

Executive Member
Don't underestimate a humble and determined Intel.

They have been in this spot before, their response was the core architecture that dominated the CPU market for a decade.

Hopefully this time AMD will stay competent.

Intel is still in for a rough 2-3 years, but they will be back. They can afford too many mistakes though, or else they go the way of IBM.
Well, seems you are not aware of intel and die shrinkage issues, as well and bad choices intel has made with regards to the bussiness, which has led to several shortcomings within the business. This has negatively impacted them to the point it would take several years to recover if at all.

The choices they made is actually quite grave....:)

Messugga

Honorary Master
Well, seems you are not aware of intel and die shrinkage issues, as well and bad choices intel has made with regards to the bussiness, which has led to several shortcomings within the business. This has negatively impacted them to the point it would take several years to recover if at all.

They set a record for revenue during the last financial year. They're doing fine.

Lupus

Honorary Master

They are still doing fine, they are still beating Intel in profits 7 times over. People still believe in Intel

wizardofid

Executive Member
They are still doing fine, they are still beating Intel in profits 7 times over. People still believe in Intel
It has nothing to do with profits.Short term sure, but long term they are falling further behind and will eventually come back and bite them in the ass.This reeks netburst all over again, and this time they won't be digging them self out of the hole they dug.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
It has nothing to do with profits.Short term sure, but long term they are falling further behind and will eventually come back and bite them in the ass.This reeks netburst all over again, and this time they won't be digging them self out of the hole they dug.

I wonder when Dell and HP will have many AMD processor laptops, all I see there is Intel Intel Intel.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I wonder when Dell and HP will have many AMD processor laptops, all I see there is Intel Intel Intel.
Market share.png

Looking at market share, Intel and AMD aren't even really playing the same sport, nevermind the same league. Intel also dominates HPC.

wizardofid

Executive Member

The problem is the intel board of directors pretty much have little or no engineering experience and as a result the business defocused the CPU business or rather making fast CPU's as well as making bad choices from about mid 2015 and 2016. Intel had every intention of focusing on mobile aspects of the business as they believe as that is what people want, while not entirely wrong, while they shun desktop CPU's in favor of mobile, they essentially screwed then self out of the market in the long term as they are actually a few years behind AMD to the point where catching up to them is going to cost more and more.

It's extremely well documented on the internet on the bad choices intel had made in recent years especially with regards to desktop CPU's, so I suggest people do a little more reading, likely I said on the surface on, the short term impact every thing is "fine", long term they are massively behind AMD and completely outclassed due to bad choices made, like defocusing on the desktop segment of the market.

Long term impact of those choices has yet to realize.So no intel screwed the pooch, and some point the will be paying for it.Additionally a lead engineer for intel for over 20 years left a few years ago, and that has also impacted intel massively.

so yeah no, every thing is not peachy....

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The problem is the intel board of directors pretty much have little or no engineering experience and as a result the business defocused the CPU business or rather making fast CPU's as well as making bad choices from about mid 2015 and 2016. Intel had every intention of focusing on mobile aspects of the business as they believe as that is what people want, while not entirely wrong, while they shun desktop CPU's in favor of mobile, they essentially screwed then self out of the market in the long term as they are actually a few years behind AMD to the point where catching up to them is going to cost more and more.

It's extremely well documented on the internet on the bad choices intel had made in recent years especially with regards to desktop CPU's, so I suggest people do a little more reading, likely I said on the surface on, the short term impact every thing is "fine", long term they are massively behind AMD and completely outclassed due to bad choices made, like defocusing on the desktop segment of the market.

Long term impact of those choices has yet to realize.So no intel screwed the pooch, and some point the will be paying for it.Additionally a lead engineer for intel for over 20 years left a few years ago, and that has also impacted intel massively.

so yeah no, every thing is not peachy....

So how long until Intel is insignificant?

newby_investor

Expert Member
except server and soc
That’s ... a substantial portion of the market. Intel’s market share is dropping but as pointed out earlier they are still miles ahead of AMD.

I don‘t think that they are out of the woods though. I remember seeing a cover of Forbes I think from about 2007 where the headline was “Who can keep up with Nokia“ or something like that, they were the undisputed kings of the cellphone market. Then Apple dropped the original iPhone and Nokia, over the course of the next five years or so, became basically irrelevant and died.

That being said, I don’t think Intel’s decline will be that quick. They will likely linger for substantially longer. They do have plenty of opportunity to turn around.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Intel will never be able to compete here. Intel integrated graphics is the_worst. Your best bet for any kind of 3D graphics performance next to an Intel CPU is an additional discrete nVidia or ATI GPU. The reason AMD is so successful here is that they own ATI now, so no need to try to create a competitive GPU architecture as a CPU manufacturer. It's a very powerful strategic combo. And WAY cheaper than an Intel/nVidia combo for the same or better performance.

Just to point out this is not applicable in the casual user and general office worker space, which is where the bulk of pc sales volumes comes from. For a vast majority of users they only need a basic igpu that's good enough to show the screen and play youtube/netflix at the most, which means price, not graphical power, will be the determining factor for the better cpu/apu to buy, and intel has a very strong hold of this market at the moment, coupled with the current chip shortage it's not likely for amd to gain significant market share of this market segment for a while.

Swa

Honorary Master
That’s ... a substantial portion of the market. Intel’s market share is dropping but as pointed out earlier they are still miles ahead of AMD.

I don‘t think that they are out of the woods though. I remember seeing a cover of Forbes I think from about 2007 where the headline was “Who can keep up with Nokia“ or something like that, they were the undisputed kings of the cellphone market. Then Apple dropped the original iPhone and Nokia, over the course of the next five years or so, became basically irrelevant and died.

That being said, I don’t think Intel’s decline will be that quick. They will likely linger for substantially longer. They do have plenty of opportunity to turn around.
And the gap is closing there. Nokia made a number of bad decisions like going with Symbian. It was the superior OS but they stopped supporting it and closed the ecosystem so it became easier to just code for Android.

Just to point out this is not applicable in the casual user and general office worker space, which is where the bulk of pc sales volumes comes from. For a vast majority of users they only need a basic igpu that's good enough to show the screen and play youtube/netflix at the most, which means price, not graphical power, will be the determining factor for the better cpu/apu to buy, and intel has a very strong hold of this market at the moment, coupled with the current chip shortage it's not likely for amd to gain significant market share of this market segment for a while.
AMD already has that cornered. What people are looking for in the office space is powerful CPUs at a better price and AMD's APUs seem to provide that balance.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
AMD already has that cornered. What people are looking for in the office space is powerful GPUs at a better price and AMD's APUs seem to provide that balance.

For better Excel spreadsheets and better looking Outlook and better looking web portal things?

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
AMD already has that cornered. What people are looking for in the office space is powerful GPUs at a better price and AMD's APUs seem to provide that balance.

As sunbird has said (sarcastically I presume), I don't see how the office space has suddenly changed their demands to include better igpu performance in order to fulfil their rather fairly technically trivial tasks of checking emails, running spreadsheets, and viewing websites. The [cheaper] price is still probably the deciding factor, then maybe followed by cpu technologies like vPro if the company IT department leverages those capabilities like remote access. If gpu performance was critical, that sort of professional work loaded would have demanded at least a gtx1060 or better.

Juice

Expert Member
This is very much a South African problem. I had to eventually buy an (ACER!!!) AMD Ryzen laptop from Amazon. The only AMD Ryzen alternatives locally are all labeled as "gaming" laptops.