An issues about Contracts?

ShadowRider

Hi.

I am slowly moving from 3G to ADSL. However the 3G ordeal has completely put me off contracts.:eek:

Firstly (Apologies if this is a newbie question)

Now I have just noticed on the Telkom site that a 512Kbps ADSL Line is offered on a 24 month contract with a free router. As I don't require a router, would it be possible to get the 512Kbps line but not on a 24 month contract? :sick:

Secondly

Would it be better to get my ADSL Line through Telkom or in an all inclusive package, probably from MWEB and if I get the 512Kbps Line from MWEB All Inclusive (Are there any contracts in that deal?):confused:

Corelli

Expert Member
Hi there, just take the normal line be it 384kb is do broadband 2 i think which includes 2 +1gb free local. And then select self-install and easy peasy.

you dont need to take a contract.

with mweb you can go unlimited but well unlimited usually means slower as all the bandwidth hogs are abusing it. best to avoid.

telkom is just fine. if ure going 512kbps you can just as well go for the 4mb line, as the difference between 384 and 512kbps is really useless. i use a 384kbps line fine for skype, browsing etc.

Srack0verflow

Expert Member
if ure going 512kbps you can just as well go for the 4mb line, as the difference between 384 and 512kbps is really useless. i use a 384kbps line fine for skype, browsing etc.
agreed if you look at the cost gap between 384 and 4 meg vs 512 and 4 meg, 512 isn't worth it at all imo

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
@ShadowRider, I just did the whole deal today with Telkom: If you want the "free" router then you need to sign a 24mth contract, if you do not need the "free" router, then don't sign. No benifit to doing so.

Now I just signed up for the 384 doBroadband Level 2 (3GB blended & 10GB local) on the 24mth contract as it works out cheaper for me (DSL R999 / 24 = R41 per month) and effectively my doBroadbrand2 is costing me R210 a month after taking the DSL modem into consideration.

I do agree with Corelli on the 512, got 4Mb if your considering 512.

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
New products being launched in June could influence your decision on a contract.

If you are wanting it RIGHT NOW, then get your line from Telkom and do an ADSL self-install. Then choose your ISP based on your needs and your budget.

While I have nothing against the ISP all-inclusive packages, it does cause you a bit of a headache if you ever want to switch ISPs in the future. I prefer the freedom to be able to swop ISPs whenever I want to and as I have been doing for the last few years.