Ancient nvidia card and linux

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
1,720
Reaction score
1,292
Location
127.0.0.1
So I have an old Dell laptop that has a 420m gpu in it. Never run Linux before. Laptop runs fine and currently has win 8 on it. Thinking of switching it over to Linux so I can continue to use it while away. It would mostly be used for a bit of word processing and playing 1 specific game (Neverwinter nights released in 2002 so not heavy on gpu) My questions are as follows

1 - Which distro would be best to get started with bearing in mind I have zero Linux experience
2 - Would the gpu be supported at all? from research I have done it seems that it is no longer supported on the newer kernels....
3 - How much pain will I be in to get to grips with the whole thing?

Thanks
 
I asked Gemini for you. It says mint or lite, gpu will be fine and Neverwinter Nights has a native Linux version.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OCP
Latest version of Fedora supports driver version 390 which supports the 420m. There are lots of guides on how to install Nvidia drivers for Fedora.
 
Last edited:
Just go with Mint or Pop!_OS. Fedora and Bazzite will also work. The issue is the desktop environment; anything Wayland will be a no-go.

I use Mint (Cinnamon) on exactly the same GPU on an old Samsung laptop.

Wayland runs deep nowadays.
 
Second vote for MINT. I’ve been running it now on my gaming laptop for over a year. I’ve not had issues getting any of the games I play to work.

Google did tell me to run Pop_OS, which I did, and had endless issues! In my opinion stay far away… well for now anyways.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X