Android Useful Apps

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Thanks but I would like a gps that does noet have to be online all the time. I also can't switch off 3G

SecretCode

Guys, what will you say is the best free GPS app to download?
GPS Essentials has everything and all the components work pretty well. But there are tons of GPS apps and you should try a few.

And secondly, if I connect the samsung galaxy S Plus to our wifi network at home, does the phone use wifi to download apps and things or still 3G? I downloaded sygic but the SA maps are 500mb to download and don't want that on my account come month end
Unless you mess up the settings, yes it will ignore 3G when there is a connected wifi.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Microsoft Apps (For the Windows fans hiding out there) Developed by Microsoft.

OneNote: note-taking app for capturing all of your ideas Syncs online.
Lync: Microsofts instant messaging, audio conferencing, and calling features.
Bing: Microsofts search app for Android (If you dont have enabler there is APK's on the net)
Hotmail: What it says, hotmail app for Android (developed by Seven + Microsoft)

Also to watch out for is Xbox for Android currently in development. I must admit I am shocked to see Microsoft even acknowledging the OS.

hsmnel

GPS App:

Using Route 66 - Currently free. Very impressed with it so far. Especially the augmented reality part. Turns the video onand show the map and directions on top of the live video with a little car driving in front of you to follow. Also very fast.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
GPS App:

Using Route 66 - Currently free. Very impressed with it so far. Especially the augmented reality part. Turns the video onand show the map and directions on top of the live video with a little car driving in front of you to follow. Also very fast.
Yup - This was already mentioned in the 3rd post

hsmnel

Yup - This was already mentioned in the 3rd post

And your useless point is? Seems some people just have to say something to get their post count up without contributing anything usefull. I was responding to a question asked 4 post back by The_Mowgs

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
And your useless point is? Seems some people just have to say something to get their post count up without contributing anything usefull. I was responding to a question asked 4 post back by The_Mowgs
Oh please ... another one of those ...
This thread was originally intended for people to add apps with links so the OP can add it to the lists in the first couple of posts. A one stop reference point if you will. It was not really intended for discussions. There is another post for that here. Originally the OP wanted to keep it clean ...

Post apps that you find useful here, let’s try to keep discussions limited to apps.
So although your posts increased you count (good luck in all your endeavours), it is against the wishes of Park@82 who has gone through a lot of trouble to get a clutter free thread.

Sorry Park@82, I won't mind if these unproductive posts are deleted.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Now, now guys, its all good. This is everybody's thread.

But I would appreciate of we can try to avoid posting duplicates. :)

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
I figured I can add some apps I use regularly. Some are paid apps. I have a Galaxy S 2 and allthese work on my phone. Apologies if I duplicated some previously mentioned apps (my search was limited to only the OP posts on first page).
SetCPU - [Needs Root] Set the speed of the CPU under different conditions
MyPhoneBillSA - For Vodacom only. Add your accounts and check free minutes, data etc.
Where's My Droid - Lost your phone? Sms from another phone and find it.
Fake Me Out Of Here! - Fed up with the meeting? Let your phone make a fake call to yourself and leave!
ConvertPad - Powerfull unit converter
CamScanner - Scan to PDF with your built-in camera
Effect Booth - Take funny pics of yourself and others
UlysseSpeedometer - Nice app to monitor speed while driving
Download All Files - Download content not supported by the phone
SoundHound - Nice app that recognises music, search for and displays name
RingDroid - Create your own ringtones and notifications from music or sounds you like

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Hi guys, sorry for asking another question again but please help with my galaxy s plus. How do I make the ringtone/notification tones louder than the current loudest on the phone. I can't even hear when a sms or email comes in?

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Heya Park@82

Without going through all the posts, is there a free app to download music from for my daughter please?

thanks man.

Speedster

Executive Member
I use RSS feeds to stay up to date with news and have found gReader works best for me - primarily because it syncs seamlessly with Google Reader online but has more functionality than the Google Reader app.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
Guys, what will you say is the best free GPS app to download? And secondly, if I connect the samsung galaxy S Plus to our wifi network at home, does the phone use wifi to download apps and things or still 3G? I downloaded sygic but the SA maps are 500mb to download and don't want that on my account come month end
Thanks but I would like a gps that does noet have to be online all the time. I also can't switch off 3G
Google Navigation is the winner for me. The GPS will only be on when you turn it on. It does need data access, although you can pre-cache an area in Google Maps so it wont have to download a whole lot while navigating.

Let me add an app here:

Drivers Journal. A handy app where you can log vehicle trips, petrol/diesel fillups, services, tolls and parking. You can also add notes.

I use it almost everyday for work when I have to drive to clients. Much better than writing in a pad. It also exports to a csv file which is nice.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Cricket news and scores:
CricBuzz
CricInfo
I haven't tried cricinfo yet as it's had too many negative comments. cricbuzz is ok, but the settings and customizations are rather feeble.

This birthday app is also pretty useful.

OMB

Mountain Man
Cricket news and scores:
I haven't tried cricinfo yet as it's had too many negative comments. cricbuzz is ok, but the settings and customizations are rather feeble..
I use CricInfo and find it's good enough for live cricket scores when not in front of the TV :)

For those trying to maintain their weight I've also found myfitnesspal pretty useful

Raithlin

Expert Member
For cricket and Formula1 I use ScoreMobile. Good for live cricket updates (scoring, commentary) - I can set my favourite teams - and F1 news. I have yet to see how it performs during a F1 race. It also allows you to follow most major soccer leagues, as well as loads of (US) sports.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Cricket news and scores:
CricInfo
I haven't tried cricinfo yet as it's had too many negative comments. cricbuzz is ok, but the settings and customizations are rather feeble.
I use CricInfo and find it's good enough for live cricket scores when not in front of the TV :)
I use this app often, especially like OMB says, when I cannot get to watch or follow it online.

I can vouch for this for the app listing on the first page of this thread.

DWPTA

Expert Member
Browser: Skyfire

I found it the most usefull when watching SuperSport hi-light vid's and live streaming with flash.