• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Any difference between a built-up and a code 3 car?

purejimcn

Hi guys just want to find out if a built-up car is actually a code 3 car? or would it say code 3 on the documentation of the car? and if they are different then what is the difference? and what is code 3 and built-up anyways? any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance:)

Gnome

Executive Member
Yes, built-up = code 3.

The registration paper and license disc will say code 3. However, an engine change (the engine number is simply changed on the registration paper) or modifications to the car doesn't make a car code 3.

For a vehicle to become code 3 it had to have been unregistered at some point, either because the owner decided to do so him/herself, the vehicle was written off or the vehicle was stolen. Then at the point that you re-register the vehicle it becomes code 3 (to re-register a certificate of road worthiness is required). Once code 3 the vehicle will have virtually no resell value and insurers aren't legally obligated to insure the vehicle ( an insurer cannot refuse to insure you for a normal vehicle for example).

A seller is legally required to tell you the vehicle is code 3.

The reason for the low resell value is basically that passing the road worthiness test isn't the most difficult thing to accomplish and no sane person would un-register their vehicle themselves, therefore in 99% of the cases the car was either written off (IE. heavily damaged) or driven by criminals (ever heard the expression drive it like you stole it? Well it's because stolen vehicles get trashed). I've seen a code 3 vehicle that actually got it's road worthiness but the chassis is bent beyond repair (the car fell off of a train on the way from the factory apparently). The cars wind screen (front) cracks every few months and steering is totally messed up as well as road handling. That is the type of vehicle that can pass the test hence the reason that any sane dealer won't buy a code 3 to resell and that insurers will ask huge premiums to insure.

The only upside is some of these vehicles are properly fixed and can be picked up for a very low price.

genetic

Honorary Master
I thought if your car was stolen, it's marked as a code 3.

I guess you learn something new everyday. :)

Gnome

Executive Member
Yeah it is, that is what I said ;) , if your car was stolen it will be code 3. I know a guy from the Opel Owners Forum who's car was stolen for a total of 5 minutes and the car had to be registered as code 3.

genetic

Honorary Master
Mine was stolen and recovered last year. Still driving it today. I know they marked it code something.

Gnome

Executive Member
Maybe he just didn't understand what the procedure was or it was marked code 3 for some specific reason (the guy I spoke of), but as I understand it a recovered vehicle will be code 3, his vehicle was definitely code 3. His engine also had the engine number removed and a SAPS case number stamped on it.

purejimcn

The registration paper and license disc will say code 3.
ok cool thanks, so basically a built-up car is a code 3, but the registration paper of this car im looking at says vehicle status is "Built-up" as opposed to "used" for example. also it does not say code 3 anywhere on the papers. does it make any difference?

Gnome

Executive Member
It's synonymous, code 3 and built up. If you visit the traffic department you'll see there are posters explain that fact. They call it built up. The registration paper definitely says which code it is without a doubt. If it doesn't then it must have changed because I've seen quite a few in my life (I've had 2 cars and I'm always present when family members buy cars).

GPS

Think it is like this:

Code 1 = new
Code 2 = used (secondhand)
Code 3 = rebuild

carolnwn

Think it is like this:

Code 1 = new
Code 2 = used (secondhand)
Code 3 = rebuild

Note that stolen vehicles are placed under code 2 but they will always carry a stolen title and too complicated when stopped by traffic cops.

TheGuy

Expert Member
My car was stolen recovered and it not code 3. It had a s mark on the car which I removed by getting police clearance at 2 different police clearance facilities