Any POPI Act experts?

Glock26

Expert Member
Hypothetical question.
Let's say you run a large forum based in South Africa that has 99% international members.
Would POPI be applicable to any overseas members that may be exposed as scammers or have their pictures hosted and outed?
Would an international person be able to use the services of a local law firm and try and take action against the SA forum for having info on an overseas scammer?
Not sure how POPI applies to non South Africans and if a local law firm can challenge public info on a forum.
Any insight?

xodosman123

Expert Member
All I know is that where I live they did not follow through and become compliant, and I am going to nail them for it. They clearly know who I am and what I am capable of....

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Hypothetical question.
Let's say you run a large forum based in South Africa that has 99% international members.
A za domain doesn’t mean it’s based in SA.
Based in SA, could mean anything.
Would POPI be applicable to any overseas members that may be exposed as scammers or have their pictures hosted and outed?
Not really.
Would an international person be able to use the services of a local law firm and try and take action against the SA forum for having info on an overseas scammer?
Sure, depends what action.
Defamation etc.
Not sure how POPI applies to non South Africans and if a local law firm can challenge public info on a forum.
They can’t. Complaints need to go the Information Regulator.

That’s my 2c insight on how it logically doesn’t add up but unlike internet arguments this has consequences so rather get a lawyer to handle communications.
It’s better to ask for more detail rather than state how/why they’re wrong.

Last edited:

Glock26

Expert Member
Based in SA means the forum is hosted here and the owner lives in SA. Most members are worldwide though.
Scammer is in Asia, and is finding his dealings to be inconvenienced since Googling him pulls up his various scams.
He's attempting threats through a local law firm. But his threats may be a bluff....that's what I'm attempting to determine. Outing him isn't work significant legal expense. But I suspect he's taking a chance. Maybe even faking the legal correspondence.
He's a bad guy. But moves between Asia/USA. Issues were last raised 10 years ago...now suddenly reappeared. I guess someone Googled him and came up with his info and it made his life inconvenient. Good.