Any repercussion to blocking a debit order?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
For a gym membership.

I took out a contract at one of the cheaper gyms in SA, in Jan 2018. It's long since expired. But they kept charging me. Even after multiple attempts to cancel.
I first called, they said its 30 working days to cancel, I followed that procedure. Still get debited. Called again, they said no I must email them, and supplied me an email address. I mailed that email address, no response or acknowledgement. I call again, they say no I must email, give me the same email address. Tell them that didn't work, they said I must cancel in the gym.

I go to the gym and cancel, guy half heartedly takes my ID number and membership number, says he'll process it. Never heard anything again. Get debited again.

National lockdown happens in 2020, I get charged every month. For a service I cannot use nor want.

It's now 2021, can I just block the debit order? I honestly don't know what to do anymore, it's literally impossible to cancel. I'm sure they prey on people like this and do it forever on purpose.

Any advice?

Quintrix

Apparently your credit score can take a knock. Call your bank. Let them do it

Elon

You can reverse the debit order, for which you will be charged, and you can place a stop order to block it, but if you bank with ABSA it won't always work and they'll have no idea why not, because, they just like, work there, dude.

Quicks

Expert Member
As far as I know its just a service they provide and do not get registered on CPA / NLR, 3 Months without payment they normally automatically cancel the service. Keep proof of E-Mails send just in case they want to be funny about it. This should not affect your credit score and will only look bad on your bank statement if you dispute it. But after 90 Days obviously that will not appear on your bank statement either so you should be good.

The gym probably uses the Naedo platform and would be able to dispute the last two debit orders if it falls within the 40day rule, if you want to and have proof that you tried to cancel it. Otherwise you could maybe talk to the gym and ask them to refund the money that were not suppose to be deducted?

Last edited:

epah

Expert Member
Apparently your credit score can take a knock. Call your bank. Let them do it

All the bank can do is block the debit order, they unfortunately can’t do anything about his credit record and the gym will probably blacklist him. He needs to find another way of cancelling the contract.

Tman543

I blocked Telkom debit order before and they charge a penalty fee (300 bucks) to the Telkom acc for the bouncing of the transaction. Nothing happened to my credit score. But still had to sort out the contract before the next month.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I go to the gym and cancel, guy half heartedly takes my ID number and membership number, says he'll process it. Never heard anything again. Get debited again.
I would go back to the gym and not so half-heartedly have a coversation with whoever thinks they are in charge.

And then I'd go to my bank (or use my app as I'm with a decent bank) and cancel the thing.

Matt91

Expert Member
Have you tried writing a a really kak review on HelloPeter, that'll show 'em what's what.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Sounds like RAIN. Do what the other dude did. Open another bank account and close that one.