Anyone here work for Sage / Sage VIP?

Fireball

Hi folks

I'm considering resigning from my current company (I'm a developer) and going to work for Sage.
Trying to figure out if the shift is worth it. I would probably be joining their office in Menlyn, Pretoria.

Does anyone here work there / know someone who does?
What is it like?
Any benefits or perks?
How's management?
Do you get things such as flexi-time and work-from-home?
How about medical, pension, merit bonuses, 13th cheques, further studies, those sorts of things?
Just your general opinion of working for them in general, good or bad?

Please guys, I would REALLY appreciate any input.

Last edited:

Fireball

Thanks for the PMs, froot and others (don't want to mention your names in case the PMs were meant to be confidential)

Really informative :D

If anyone else would care to contribute, you're most welcome.

patrict

Yeah, I'd be curious to hear the general feedback too, if possible

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Can I send new feature / improvement suggestions to the Sage people on here? :D

Fireball

Sure thing!

Long story short, it sounds like an awesome place to work!

No numbers were mentioned in conversation for obvious reasons, but the CTC packages (which include group medical scheme - and depending on role - pension) seem to be very competitive. This may differ from offer to offer I'm guessing (I really don't know, so don't quote me on it)

It sounds like the people who work there are very happy and satisfied.
Some developers have been there for over a decade and are still happy. In a market where experienced developers are a hot commodity, I think that says something about a company that can keep talent for that long.

The management culture seems to be very friendly and relatively relaxed as far as big corporates go. Operates like a big business, feels like a small one.

Developers get very decently specced laptops and extra monitor/s to work on (this is a big +1 for me.)

Going the extra mile actually gets rewarded (apparently quite decently) come review time. Reviews seem to be twice a year.

Flexi-time and remoting are commonplace (manager dependent, but for most not a problem it seems).
It's a global company, so there is ample opportunity for movement and advancement(and internal employees get notified of open positions first).

Menlyn Office has a great canteen with extensive menu, as well as bike rack and showers for you cyclists out there.

Good filter coffee, and several cappuccino machines throughout the building for you fellow caffeine junkies.

There are quite a few other perks such as:
free beer at Friday socials,
boys weekends,
girls weekends,
team-building weekends,
basement parking,
casual dress code (assuming you're not client-facing),
Awesome year-end functions!

TL;DR
It sounds like an absolutely great place to work!
I am pretty much sold on the idea of working for them. In fact, I already sent my CV.
And it seems like I might want to stay for quite some time (assuming I get in, of course).

So there you have it. I'm sold! Hope it helps you guys out as well (and thanks to those of you who were kind enough to answer!)

Last edited:

skimread

Executive Member
I find companies in Pretoria East don't pay very well compared to Johannesburg companies so if you can find some place near you that pays well then that is a good first sign

zippy

Executive Member
Sure thing!

Long story short, it sounds like an awesome place to work!

No numbers were mentioned in conversation for obvious reasons, but the CTC packages (which include group medical scheme - and depending on role - pension) seem to be very competitive. This may differ from offer to offer I'm guessing (I really don't know, so don't quote me on it)

It sounds like the people who work there are very happy and satisfied.
Some developers have been there for over a decade and are still happy. In a market where experienced developers are a hot commodity, I think that says something about a company that can keep talent for that long.

The management culture seems to be very friendly and relatively relaxed as far as big corporates go. Operates like a big business, feels like a small one.

Developers get very decently specced laptops and extra monitor/s to work on (this is a big +1 for me.)

Going the extra mile actually gets rewarded (apparently quite decently) come review time. Reviews seem to be twice a year.

Flexi-time and remoting are commonplace (manager dependent, but for most not a problem it seems).
It's a global company, so there is ample opportunity for movement and advancement(and internal employees get notified of open positions first).

Menlyn Office has a great canteen with extensive menu, as well as bike rack and showers for you cyclists out there.

Good filter coffee, and several cappuccino machines throughout the building for you fellow caffeine junkies.

There are quite a few other perks such as:
free beer at Friday socials,
boys weekends,
girls weekends,
team-building weekends,
basement parking,
casual dress code (assuming you're not client-facing),
Awesome year-end functions!

TL;DR
It sounds like an absolutely great place to work!
I am pretty much sold on the idea of working for them. In fact, I already sent my CV.
And it seems like I might want to stay for quite some time (assuming I get in, of course).

So there you have it. I'm sold! Hope it helps you guys out as well (and thanks to those of you who were kind enough to answer!)
Yet another evil corporate employer :)

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Please whoever is working on development on Sage VIP, please get it into the 21st century.

Sage VIP and Sage Evolution are like chalk and cheese, even more like chalk dust.

Graphical report writer would be nice.

Spacerat

Please whoever is working on development on Sage VIP, please get it into the 21st century.

Sage VIP and Sage Evolution are like chalk and cheese, even more like chalk dust.

Graphical report writer would be nice.
I know the national sales manager for VIP very well.... Will mention it to him. What in particular are you referring to? UI/UX?

patrict

And typical thread hijacking ensues. Good luck Fireball. Unsubscribing.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I know the national sales manager for VIP very well.... Will mention it to him. What in particular are you referring to? UI/UX?
Yes.

VIP has a very DOS based feel to it. The report writer is a line by line format.

Evolution has a great graphical drag-and-drop report editor/creator.

You can do a lot in Evolution on your own. In VIP you're on a leash and have to call the centre for every little thing.

Randhir

Honorary Master
My fiancee started working for them recently and she loves it. Also know someone else who has been working there for around 10 years. From what she says they really try to take care of their employees.

Fuma

Executive Member
It could be that there are few positions in PTA compared to JHB North and Pretorians would rather work in PTA.

Spacerat

Yes.

VIP has a very DOS based feel to it. The report writer is a line by line format.

Evolution has a great graphical drag-and-drop report editor/creator.

You can do a lot in Evolution on your own. In VIP you're on a leash and have to call the centre for every little thing.
Are you sure you are not using an old version? I know they revamped the UI extensively fairly recently...