Anyone using fibrestream?

SharkBait

Executive Member
I see on the alberton whatsapp group there are a couple and they are happy. I can't trust WISPs anymore though, so I will sit with my ADSL till fibre is available.

They operate out the East mostly, they are joining the fibre game too. They are mainly a WISP I think tho.

SharkBait

Executive Member
hmm... seems like WISPs are not trusted in general, why is that?
Once you have tested most of them and experienced bad service from all of them, that's when you get the trust issues. I myself have wasted plenty of money on testing most of them and will never again easily use them.

quincarroll

hmm... seems like WISPs are not trusted in general, why is that?
I am currently using Fibre Stream. I am VERY happy with them so far. There have been 2 times that I have had where speeds dropped to about 30%-50% of what it should be, and both times the issue was resolved pretty fast, and support kept me up to date on the issue, while being sorted out.

My current connection is 10 mbps dl/10 mbps ul with a 1:1 contention ratio, and I speed test at over 11 mbps most of the time.

I have used one other WISP before Fibre Stream. The only reason I switched was because I spoke to a couple of people who use them, and they were and still are very happy with their connections and service.

Last edited:

SharkBait

Executive Member
I am currently using Fibre Stream. I am VERY happy with them so far. There have been 2 times that I have had where speeds dropped to about 30%-50% of what it should be, and both times the issue was resolved pretty fast, and support kept me up to date on the issue, while being sorted out.

My current connection is 10 mbps dl/10 mbps ul with a 1:1 contention ratio, and I speed test at over 11 mbps most of the time.

I have used one other WISP before Fibre Stream. The only reason I switched was because I spoke to a couple of people who use them, and they were and still are very happy with their connections and service.
I am assuming you are paying quite a bit for this connection. ;) Or you are under the wrong impression.

ichocolate

Yeh strange cause i spoke to X from Fibrestream and he tuned me that contention can never be 1:1
The funny thing is that on my quote it says 1:1
so now i dont know if i want to laugh or not.

Equipment is ~3800 with vat which i think is fair as the hardware does become yours, BUT it still seems a bit steep for me.
You can contract that cost over a period but yeh u are still paying ~3800.

All areas common or popular, just need Fibre this Christmas, really. We have waited far to long now.

Also note, Wirulink , from the chat i had, do not let go of their equipment to you as you will always be renting it.

Last edited:

Kaydojhb

Hi Guys,

I know for a fact, that Fibre Stream home connections are NOT 1:1....their speeds might be great, however i know they work really hard at keeping the network up. I have personally been told by X that this is a 1:15 contention ratio. I have also experienced connectivity issues in the past (as you would with ant WISP) but i must say that i have had quicker feedback and resolution than i have being connected with anybody else....

FibreB

Firbrestream provides poor internet spped and If you try and cancel they say you have not cancelled and continue to send you invoices. I talk of first hand experience. Do not ise this company whatsovever!

Toners

I agree, they service is really poor and they blame you for not having your speed quota. They tend to use the expression " you have maxed your line" of which none of it is true and as a mentioned to them I have to use what I am paying for ... If you're not the patient and think twice

May I please have connections into the Alberton group that are unhappy with FibreStream - I am also taking them to the ombud so the more the merrier!

John0a

We have used their services since August last year. there has hardly been a week without downtime. We live on a plot 27km from Alberton and they are about the only ones offering a service other than LTE. We pay for a 10meg connection that suddenly had a steep monthly increase after just 2 months. We paid out right for the installation.. We seldom get our 10meg though. Mostly get around 1 or 2 meg. A lightening strike damaged the equipment they replaced the router and LNB only but charged us for a full installation. Apparently they don't have a code for repairing charges and simply bill you for a full installation. I asked for the balance of the equipment seeing as how we had paid for it. they agreed but to date nothing has been delivered. Kelly in accounts is very arrogant. We asked for an invoice for our insurance claim. Two months later we were still waiting despite numerous emails and phone calls. They don't do invoices for insurance claims. Eventually we got a letter but our insurance has rejected it. We have given up. As I run an online business I'm forced to stick with them for now but I'll be watching for another. Last thing, we paid the monthly bill but used their invoice number as a reference. We got billed an additional R150.00 for using the incorrect reference number. we were told that we must use our account number. We complained and were told tough that's how it is. Don't pay we will cut you off. We have paid over R7000.00 on equipment now so are bit stuck with Fibrestream. I warn you though we are not alone in the customer complaints arena

christoffv

Here is my 2c about Fibrestream. Don't use Fibrestream.
1. They don't give you an public ip if you want to access your CCTV or VPN.
2. They just can't get it right to do port forwarding, they don't know how it works. Struggled for two weeks and I have give up on them.
3. Accounts is another nightmare if you cancel, I am struggling now for 8 days(work days) now to cancel my account

Linda K

I have been battling for more than a year with fibrestream to refund me. They had me pay the full installation fee with the promise that I will be up and running within 2 days, only to arrive at my home and there was no line of sight with the tower. They then told me they will send experts and other equipment. I am still waiting. After going backwards and forwards for about a week or 2, they just dropped out of the picture without any installation or plan. After many phone calls and no response from Fibrestream, and even a few direct conversations with their CEO, I gave up and consulted a lawyer. This (correspondence and demands from the lawyer) yielded no response at all. I now have additional costs for the lawyer and still no back payment form Fibrestream. My next step is to either go to the court of small claims since the initial amount is less than R7000, or the comsumer protection people. Is there anybody on this forum who managed to get any results via this route. At the moment I am discouraged to start this whole process but on the other hand I feel it is a matter of principle to be paid back my money. Fibrestream did not install any equipment in or on my home and never even tried to contact me in more than a year of many letters and phone calls and requests. This is totally unprofessional and unacceptable. I have paid them almost R5000!